Ethereum News and Links
- Sharding research compendium
- Sharding phase 1 spec
- Cross-shard contract yanking
- Panels on sharding in Taipei to cap a 3 day sharding workshop
- Jon Choi writes up results from the workshop: Cross-shard Communication & Developer Experience
- A simple way to compute rent fees?
- VB: “realistically with a laptop you’ll be able to keep up to date fully with something like 1-10 shards”
- Phil Daian: Incentivizing a Robust P2P Network/Relay Layer
- Notes from the web3 Foundation and Giveth ScalingNow conference to accompany the videos
- Alex Miller: Plasma and the Internet of Money
Stuff for developers
- List of EVM opcodes, including proposals, from Trail of Bits
- Reversing Ethereum smart contracts
- Upgradable ERC20 pattern
- NuCypher unveils threshold proxy re-encryption for scalable e2e encrypted data sharing
- The phenomenon of Ethereum honey pots
- HackerOne report on Coinbase bug – throw a transaction from a contract and revert prior transactions
- Remix IDE updates
- Ethereum programming 101 video by Joseph Chow
- How to change your web app to a dapp tutorial
- Gitcoin now has an ETH faucet to help bring devs into web3
- Mist and wallet v0.10.0 – light client now default sync mode
- Parity v1.10 – support for WASM on Kovan (!), the wallet UI now disabled by default
- Interview with Vitalik Buterin where he talks through some of the early Ethereum history. The interview clearly happened at least a few months ago.
- More on how Parity is helping the World Food Programme feed refugees
- Taylor Monahan’s “Decentralized Future is People” MIT Bitcoin Expo talk
- Numerai is airdropping Numeraire tokens to Kaggle accounts. I signed up and got mine! Finally got some value out of all those hours on Kaggle.
- Cellarius’ CellCon0
- Decentraland Market to buy and sell LAND
- Toshi revamps its dapp browser
- Imogen Heap on her work with Mycelia
- Key Mesh – an Ethereum address book with private chat. Running on Rinkeby.
- EthernalGo – play Go onchain. Reddit thread.
- CryptoCup – World Cup predictions. But I don’t have an octopus?
- Tabby – an escrow middleman to avoid sending to wrong address. From Blockcat
Interviews, Podcasts, Videos, Talks
- I talk decentralized insurance with Stephan Karpischek from Etherisc
- Software Engineering Daily with Jarrad and Oskar from Status
- Andy Milenius talk on Circles universal basic income
- Mark Beylin talks bounties on Pressurecast
- Epicenter episodes with Bob Summerwill and Peter Van Valkenburgh
- Truffle’s Tim Coulter on Changelog
- Pangea is tokenizing a 5 unit apartment building in Brooklyn.
- Reality TV star Kevin O’Leary claims a $400m NYC hotel will do an on-chain securities offering in “the next 3 weeks” that is “SEC approved.” My guess is that if it happens it’s not on Ethereum.
- The state enforcers fighting crypto fraud. In Texas, enforcers can go undercover.
- CryptoKitties raised $12m VC round.
- Lots of tokens trading lower than value of the ETH they hold
- Virtue Poker announces token sale. No US, no discounts or bonuses, access to the alpha but tokens locked until the site is live.
- Ledger discusses its updated firmware in response to Saleem Rashid’s “breaking the ledger security model” post. Or check Matthew Green’s tl;dr tweetstorm.
- Microsoft announces that Niavura settled Principal Protected Notes on the Etherem main net
- ConsenSys to do pilot project with World Identity Network to fight human trafficking
- Time says “Russia” helped the Venezuelan dictatorship with its Petro scam to evade sanctions
- A Vitalik Buterin interview on why he donated a few million to SENS to fight aging.
- Bloomberg: Google is working on blockchain tech
- Long section on blockchains in the Joint Economic Report starting at p201
Dates of note
Upcoming dates of note:
- March 24 – ERC721 conference in Dallas
- March 27 – Pathfounder: Cryptoeconomics in London. 15% off with discount code EVAN.
- April 3-4 – Deconomy in Seoul
- April 17 – DappDev in Kiev
- April 24 – Oslo Blockchain Day
- April 25 – Virtue Poker sale
- May 3-5 – Edcon in Toronto
- May 11-12 – Ethereal (NYC)
- May 16-17 – Token Summit (NYC)
- May 18-20 – EthMemphis hackathon
If you appreciate this newsletter, thank ConsenSys.
I’m thankful that ConsenSys has brought me on as an employee and given me time to do this newsletter.
Editorial control is 100% me. If you’re unhappy with editorial decisions, blame me first and last.
Follow me on Twitter? @evan_van_ness