Ethereum News and Links
- Tradeoffs in account abstraction
- Dec 1st core dev call. Agenda.
- This week’s Casper standup call
- ERC20-K: Formal Executable Specification of ERC20
- Alexey Akhunov profiles the Geth client during cryptokitty peak mania.
- Vlad Zamfir: Against on-chain governance.
- I think everyone already assumed this would be the case, but Vitalik comes out in favor of a carbonvote as a necessary condition to unfreeze Parity multisig Ether.
- An ELI5 on Ethereum’s scaling projects from Dunning_Krugerrands
Stuff for developers
- Solidity v0.4.19 release. Fantastic to see how many contributors there were. It’d be great if more people were working on Solidity fulltime: send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plus more on the new Solidity ABI Encoder/Decoder and Optimizer
- A React HOC for Ethereum
- Solidity Eclipse IDE
- “countable, iterable and unordered set type for Solidity that stores unique items”
- An intro to Ethereum coding from Zeppelin
- Aragon and Placeholder are announcing a grants program to build Aragon and Ethereum public goods – infrastructure and dev tooling
- Python + Ethereum email list
- uPort hackathon on TopCoder
- Zeppelin’s Ethernaut game for security in solidity
- How does CryptoKitties work? And a walk through the codebase.
- CryptoKitties isn’t as decentralized as you think. But if there’s a conflict, “the community will just hard fork the kitties.”
- Jeff Wilcke agrees to buy a gen zero cat from Nick Johnson for ~90k to charity if a tweet got to 500 RTs, but someone nabbed it first
- Transactions hit 800k in a day. Metamask grew its user base by 35% in kitty mania week. Per EthGasStation, the current safe low is 55gwei. But just raising the gas limit isn’t really an option.
- Reminder: if your transaction is stuck in limbo, re-send it with the same nonce and a higher gas price based on Eth Gas Station.
- Can’t vouch for the veracity, but this claims CryptoKitties is almost 70% of total gas usage.
- Kitty explorer and kitty sales. We’re currently over 8m USD equivalent transacted, but it seems like Dec 4th was the peak with daily small declines afterward.
- Burnable payments to decompile the GeneScience bytecode.
- Etherisc proposes insurable crypto wallet specification
- The mechanics of Zug’s uPort ID
- Cosmos’ Ethermint testnet is live
- Alex Miller: Building a Usable Multisig Wallet
- Chronicled is implementing zk-snarks for pharma provenance
- Token Curated Registries 1.1 – now with slashing
- Token curated governance with stake machines
- MicroRaiden’s main net bug bounty release
- Brave is giving away ~$5 in BAT tokens. Free “money” for Brave users to support publishers.
- Decentraland’s Terraform event starts Dec 15
- Status joins the EEA. We’re seeing them step up as leaders in order to achieve their goals. Status will also come pre-installed on the Finneyblockchain phone.
- Etherisc accepted into the UK’s FCA regulatory sandbox. Also: building protocols for decentralized insurance
- iExec is giving away 150k in grants to people who build on iExec.
- Colony’s reputation system
Project Announcements and Whitepapers
- Vynos inbrowser payment channel wallet from Spankchain and Machinomy
- Earn.com white paper
- Zipper blockchain phone
Interviews, Videos and Talks
- Joe Lubin’s CNBC hit. All substance, no hype. That’s the Ethereum spirit.
- Polychain’s Olaf predicts the Flippening in 2018. He gives great media interviews.
- I talk to Jack Spallone about what Ujo Music has been up to and where it’s going.
- Joe Lubin answers questions about ConsenSys on the Bridge BKpodcast.
- Brian Armstrong on Bloomberg TV
- Gavin: “The journey to web3” from Melon’s M-0 conf
- ConsenSys launched the Brooklyn Project to address issues around token sales.
- SEC cracked down on another ICO scam from a repeated scammer.
- Zenel Batagelj: Towards the next era – ICO 3.0
- Messari’s transparency goals
Token Sale Projects
- The lady doth protest too much: OpenBazaar is now doing an Ethereum token. Joking aside, welcome. Brian Hoffman is hilarious (how does that video have just 200 views?)
- Failed Venezuelan dictatorship thinks it can circumvent sanctions by selling a cryptoasset. If they sell any, then we are indeed in a bubble.
- Vitalik Buterin in Bloomberg’s 50 Most Influential People of 2017
- Mike Bloomberg actually (!) said this: “the Bloomberg system is a blockchain, instead of having the users control it, we control it.”
- Chris Padovano: Decentralized exchanges aren’t above the law
- Yahoo Finance integrated 100+ blockchain assets. Very random selection.
- Nathaniel Popper visits Coinbase and writes about it for the New York Times.
Dates of note
From Token Sale Calendar.
Upcoming token sale start dates:
- December 8 – SingularityNet
- December 10 – Gazecoin
- December 11 – Aurora DAO from IDEX
- December 23 – Rocketpool (proportional refund cap, started November 25h)
Ongoing token sales:
- Neufund ICBM
- Nous Platform
WARNING: list may include or even likely includes scams and quasi-scams. Do your own research and due diligence before putting value at risk
[I aim for a relatively comprehensive list of Ethereum sales, but make no warranty as to even whether they are legit; as such, I thus likewise warrant nothing about whether any will produce a satisfactory return. I have passed the CFA exams, but this is not investment advice. If you’re interested in what I do, you can find my somewhat out-of-date investing thesis and token sale appreciation strategies in previous newsletters.]
If you appreciate this newsletter, thank ConsenSys
I’m thankful that ConsenSys has brought me on as an employee and given me time to do this newsletter.
My charge from Joe Lubin is pretty similar to what Status has told me: keep telling the truth and covering the space as objectively as I can.
Editorial control is 100% me. Blame me first and last.
Follow me on Twitter? @evan_van_ness