Ethereum News and Links
- Thanks to everyone concerned about our wellbeing down on the Texas Gulf Coast (and boo to those pontificating on the causes while people are still suffering and evacuating). My family came out unscathed, but it was catastrophic for wide swaths of the region. Let’s just hope the levees hold for the next few weeks – even though they are under maintained and weren’t designed to hold water – or it will get worse.
- Eric Olszewski set up a site with Habitat for Humanity Texas if you’d like to donate Eth: eth4harvey.com
- Due to hurricane prep and distractions, I didn’t get around to the daily newsletter last week. That should happen this week. You can subscribe to the daily newsletter here.
- Part 3 of Howard Yeah’s Diving Into The EVM
- Core Dev call. Hudson Jameson’s recap of the call. Still aiming for late Sept for Byzantium with these EIPs, miner reward reduction to 3 ether per block. The issuance reduction combined with ice age delay actually keeps ETH issued on an hourly basis essentially the same. No timeline yet for EIPs 86 and 96 in Constantinople
- Josh Stark: Making sense of cryptoeconomics
- Submarine sends using EIP86’s CREATE2 opcode to prevent miner frontrunning by IC3
Stuff for developers
Ethereum in the Enterprise
- Token sale diligence framework issued by a bunch of folks. Solid but seemed lacking around token model as well as long-term governance.
- Ethereal SanFran tickets now on sale
- My Ether Wallet’s ether.cards are available
- Arthur Falls on getting hacked and trust networks
- Mercury Protocol from the Dust messaging app, fka CyberDust. White paper.
- Mark Cuban weighs in on Mercury at r/ethereum.
- Mark Cuban weighs in on Mercury at r/ethereum.
- Introducing zeppelinOS white paper draft
- Lannister – collateralize tokens, ENS name, any ownable contract
- Two 0x protocol relayers – The 0cean and Radar Relay (both teams currently anonymous…?)
- Ubitok, an on-chain order book, live on Ropsten
- Data Broker DAO. p2p marketplace for IoT sensor data. white paper
- OmiseGO strategy
- Melon v0.3.0
- All about Swarm City’s hives
- Aragon buys back tokens to use to incentivize contributions
- Golem v0.8
- OpenLaw’s legally binding token purchase agreement
Interviews and Talks
- Epicenter talks to former SEC enforcement attorney Nick Morgan
- Status Q&A with FunFair’s Jez San
- Swap talks to the Blockchain Show
- Short Joey Krug video talking about the next few years
Token Sale Projects
- The road ahead toward a token sale for Etherisc: insurance on the blockchain
- Kyber Network’s token sale registration details
- Kin sale details – they just closed a $50m presale for VCs giving them a 30% discount; now they want $75m more. This doesn’t feel like the decentralized future I signed up for.
- How X8Currency’s CEO got obsessed with stable coins
- Enigma says they raised 20m in their pre-sale despite the hack.
- Maecenas on soft tokens on-chain vs hard tokens off-chain
- Venture Beat on Winding Tree: could upend B2B travel inventory
- Fred Ehrsam advocates better incentives for protocol research. Provocative, but I lean toward the opposite view. The one concrete data point we have in Ethereum is the sizable Doge <-> Ether relay bounty which launched almost 2 years ago yet has not been claimed.
- Stox seems to like to pay athletes to tweet about them. This time Uruguay’s Luis Suarez
- SEC issues pronouncement against publicly traded companies doing market manipulation through ICO announcements
- Speaking of PR – Burger King Russia’s Whoppercoin PR stunt
- IBTimes profile of Joe Lubin
Dates of note
From Token Sale Calendar:
Upcoming token sale start dates:
- August 31 – Musiconomi (Cofound.it Priority Pass presale: Aug 29)
- August 31 – Monetha
- August 31 – REAL
- September 1 – Opakeco
- September 1 – Landtoken
- September 1 – Payfair
- September 5 – Viberate
- September 6 – Aventus
- September 6 – Atlant
- September 6 – Matryx
- September 7 – Maecenas (Cofound.it Priority Pass presale: Sep 5)
- September 7 – SmartContract (ongoing presale)
- September 7 – Blocklancer
- September 8 – LookRev
- September 10 – Wolk
- September 11 – Enigma Catalyst
- September 12 – Kin (registration ends Sept 9)
- September 12 – Evermarkets
- September 12 – Bitjob
- September 13 – Unikoin
- September 13 – Eventchain
- September 14 – X8 Currency (Cofound.it Priority Pass presale: Sep 12)
- September 15 – Kyber Network (registration August 31 – Sept 10)
- September 15 – Etherparty
- September 16 – MatchPay
- September 16 – Gimli
- September 18 – Winding Tree
- September 18 – Circles
- September 19 – Air Token
- September 19 – Spheris
- September 21 – Digital Asset Power Play (Cofound.it Priority Passpresale: Sep 19)
- September 25 – EthLend
- September 25 – Jibrel Network
- October 1 – Hirematch
- October 2 – WandX
- October 10 – Swap
- October 15 – Paypie
Ongoing token sales:
- 300 Cubits
- Umbrella Coin
Want to be included? If you are building your project on Ethereum, email weekinethereum @ gmail [period] com with 1) your URL, 2) sale date and 3) a brief but convincing description of how you are using Ethereum, preferably with a link to your Github repo. Listings are free. But please make sure to follow those instructions. If you don’t follow the instructions, you likely won’t get a response.
WARNING: list may include or even likely includes scams. Do your own research and due diligence before putting value at risk.
[I aim for a relatively comprehensive list of Ethereum sales, but make no warranty as to even whether they are legit; as such, I thus likewise warrant nothing about whether any will produce a satisfactory return. I have passed the CFA exams, but this is not investment advice. If you’re interested in what I do, you can find my somewhat out-of-date investing thesis and token sale appreciation strategies in previous newsletters.]
Every week I include this, but then I get emails that make it obvious that you skipped this section
If you emailed my Ticketleap email address in the last 20 days or so, then I likely didn’t get it. If you were waiting on a response from an email you sent there, I suggest you re-send to weekinethereum @ gmail [period] com.
I’ve joined ConsenSys. Here’s a logo to draw your eye in case you were going to skip over this section:
My charge from Joe Lubin is pretty similar to what Status has told me: keep telling the truth and covering the space as objectively as I can.
Will curate for tweets and upvotes
I measure the success of each issue by how much it gets upvoted and shared.
Follow me on Twitter? @evan_van_ness