Eth News and Links
- Latest What’s New in Eth2
- Demystifying Eth2 terms – a solid eth2 explainer in the form of glossary
- Data viz of Prysmatic’s merged PRs
- Mothra: wrappers for libp2p in rust
- Latest Eth2 implementer call. Notes from Ben and Mamy
Stuff for developers
- Solidity v0.5.11. calldata structs bugfix in ABIEncoderV2. Some SMT checker bugs fixed. Internal types added to ABI outputs. Yul/wasm improvements
- Embark v4.1. better deployment, as well as enabling services from console.
- Integrate Gas Station Network into your app
- Onboarding crypto noobs with a link or QR code that gives them the asset after they download a wallet
- Austin Griffith vid on Burner Wallet collectibles
- Benchmarking IPFS gateways
- Managing storage with IPFS in a Java app
- How to build a decentralized chat app using Swarm and fds.js in 10 minutes. Here’s a Swarm progress report
- Loredana demo of Pipeline: drag & drop to create apps. More Loredana demos: dType 101 and web2 MVC architecture emulated on Web3, with dType & Alias
- Playing with dynamic arrays in assembly
- How CoinbaseCommerce uses CREATE2 to keep costs down
- Attacking timelocks by selling future ownership
- Geth v1.9.2
- Parity v2.6.1-beta and v2.5.6-stable
- Pantheon v1.2.1
- EVMC v6.3
- Minimal, a modular client written in Go, licensed with Apache or MPL, from Umbracle.
- TrustToken is using GasToken-like technique so end users have reduced token transfer cost
- Oracles: DirtProtocol releases pricefeed oracle protocol and UMA on the economic assurances of their price feeds
- Pelle Brændgaard’s Wardley map of Ethereum
- ENS supports TOR’s .onion addresses. Originally an ETHNewYork hack
- ETHIndia submissions. List of winners.
- EEA’s Mainnet Initiative bridging public and private chains
- PegaSys’ EthSigner – keep your private key separate from dapps/node
Governance and Standards
- Latest core devs call. Istanbul split into two forks.
- EIP tracker for what goes in which fork.
- Compound’s vote on next asset to add will use lifetime interest earned/paid as a weighting mechanism
- Melon Council launches on an Aragon DAO
- EIP2242: transacton postdata
- Understanding emergency shutdown in multi-collateral Dai
- Alethio’s growth of DeFi data viz is stunning
- tBTC – spec for a trustless Eth to Btc bridge from Keep and Summa
- rDAI – tokenized interest earned by Compound’s cDAI
- Spec for a multi-token private trading using snarks.
- Crypto wallets in the Brave nightly release, which means they’re a couple months away from the regular release.
- Loopring deployed beta version of its v3, which does 350 transactions a second with data availability on chain, and goes up to 1400 txs per second after Istanbul.
- You can now limit your slippage on Uniswap to prevent frontrunning
Interviews, Podcasts, Videos, Talks
- This section was going to be all podcasts, but it would’ve been mostly the usual suspects. I created a Twitter poll to find out whether I should keep podcasts in this section.
Tokens / Business / Regulation
- SEC gets asset freeze on Veritaseum/Reggie Middleton, which was discussed for years as the most blatant scam
- Revisiting the fat protocol thesis
- PIP – Use interest for compound to fund projects in exchange for tokens
- Discovery of apps in Status is live as a bonding curve
- Electric Capital’s crypto developer report. Ethereum has 4x the developers of Bitcoin at the protocol level, not even counting Ethereum’s magnitudes of lead at the app level.
- Coinbase buys Xapo’s institutional business, says it has $7b under management
- ErisX spot market is live. Bakkt announces September 23 launch date
- MyCrypto on trust trading Twitter scams
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note (new in bold):
- Aug 21-23 – Dappcon (Berlin)
- Aug 23 – Last day for IDEX withdrawals without KYC
- Aug 24-25 – EthPlanet Shenzhen hackathon
- Aug 23-25 – ETHBerlin
- Aug 28-Sep11 – Ethereal Blocks virtual hackathon
- Aug 29-30 – ERC1400 security token hackathon (Oslo)
- Sep 2-16 – Decentraland SDK virtual hackathon (250k USD in prizes. There’s a referral code on that link that gets both you and me something extra)
- Sep 3 – Deadline to apply for EU Horizon Prize. 1m € each to 5 “Blockchains for Social Good” projects
- Sep 6-8 – ETHBoston
- Sep 10-11 – DeFi Summit (London)
- Sep 15 – Augur v1 cutoff
- Sep 15 – Ethereal Tel Aviv
- Sep 16 – Tachyon accelerator application deadline
- Sep 15-16- StarkWare sessions (Tel Aviv)
- Sep 22 – IDEO virtual hackathon ends
- Oct 7 – ENS workshop (Osaka)
- Oct 8-11 – DeVcon (Osaka) and Devcon social events calendar
- Nov 8-10 – ETHWaterloo
If you appreciate this newsletter, thank ConsenSys
This newsletter is made possible by ConsenSys.
I own 100% Week In Ethereum. Editorial control has always been me.
If you’re unhappy with editorial decisions or anything that I have written in this issue, feel free to tweet at me.
I changed the URL to rank for Ethereum News, but people keep linking to the old URL not to weekinethereumnews.com
Archive on the web if you’re linking to it: https://weekinethereumnews.com/week-in-ethereum-news-august-17-2019/
Follow me on Twitter, because most of what is linked here gets tweeted first: @evan_van_ness
If you’re wondering “why didn’t my post make it into Week in Ethereum News?”
Did you get forwarded this newsletter? Sign up to receive the weekly email