Eth News and Links
- Regenesis plan proposal
- Latest core devs call video. Beiko notes
- Turbogeth improved stability release
- Turbogeth’s staged sync explainer – how it does a full sync to an archive node in under 700gb and just a few days
- Latest what’s new in eth2: the Medalla multi-client testnet launched
- Danny Ryan’s latest quick eth2 update, attacknet bounties now tripled
- Jonny Rhea’s attacks found a bug in Go-lang with the help of protolambda, Raúl Kripalani, and Preston Van Loon (Go already released a bugfix)
- Latest eth2 call. Notes from Ben and Mamy.
- Latest Prysmatic client update
- Eth2 annotated specs from Vitalik Buterin and Ben Edgington
- Ethereum Foundation is looking to expand its security team for eth2
- Stats from crawling Medalla nodes. A serious problem: client diversity
- Some guides to staking: Larrypc, Somer Esat, CoinCashew. Make sure you collect your POAP medals for each different client
- Defining attestation effectiveness: Attestant’s work to create the stat on validator quality that you now see on beaconcha.in
- StarkWare’s IACR paper on EthSTARK
- BLS sigs explainer series
- iden3’s hermez zk-rollup, expected to launch with 2000 tps on mainnet this year.
- Optimize for minting tokens: a different l2 flavor inspired by Reddit bakeoff
This newsletter is made possible thanks to Trail of Bits!
DeFi composability is hard, and it’s easy to accidentally expose your new protocol to unexpected risk.
Stay current: learn about the latest composability risk Sam Sun found in yEarn, and follow Trail of Bits’ checklist for integrating with tokens.
Stuff for developers
- ZoKrates v0.6 – unsigned integer types, zokrates.js works with browser/nodeJS, native SHA256 implementation at 28k constraints
- TypeChain’s stable ethers v5 release
- Opyn got hacked for 370k USDC, and then Sam Sun helped them rescue another 570k. They reimbursed all victims. Here’s Peckshield’s explainer. If you prefer to watch, here’s an Epheph video explainer
- Sam Sun found a bug in the initial release of yEarn’s yVault where an attacker could “man in the middle” the swaps.
- Martinet Lee and Jun-You Liu also found some exploits in the yCurve yVault
- Gas Saver: wrap methods to use gas tokens
- Deploy your first contract with Chainlink
- Clean contracts – Solidity best practices
- eth-permit: easy token permit signing npm
- OpenZeppelin Contracts special release to support Solidity v0.7
- Trail of Bits token integration checklist
- ethereum.org development update: a new look!
- Save on paying gas with a weekly plan. In other words: what time of day gas prices are low
- Related to when gas prices are low: DeFi is taking off in China
- A Coca-Cola bottling group to use Baseline Protocol on Eth mainnet for their supply chain vendors
- Goldman Sachs exploring creation of its own cryptodollar stablecoin
- DarkForest goes live with Ropsten testnet beta: a decentralized, real time strategy game using SNARKs
- Deversifi draws an unsecured credit line using Aave and OpenLaw contract
- Chem@Golem, a Seti@Home inspired scientific modelling project
- How yDai offers fully collateralized, fixed-interest borrowing using zero-coupon bonds
- Set Protocol v2: many more assets, yield farming support, much more gas efficient
- dYdX launches their 10x perpetual ETHUSD
- Decentralized governance: innovation or limitation?
- Grayscale’s Ethereum Trust will be SEC reporting company due to “record quarterly inflows” and weekly inflows over 10 million USD
- Putin allows crypto ownership but requires rubles as the medium of exchange
- Andreas Antonopoulos video answering basic Ethereum questions
- This week, BTC maxis spun themselves their usual tall tales about how hard it was to figure out the exact ETH supply. It’s not that hard. Here’s Nethermind. Geth. Or this Marc-André Dumas script
- ETC 51% attacked for second time in a week
- Filecoin plans to implement EIP1559 on its next testnet
- mStable is looking for developers: see 3 open roles
- OpenZeppelin: Security Services Lead, Security Platform Dev & Open Source Dev
- 15+ open roles at Chainlink: Senior Software Eng, Product Marketing, Test Eng
- Trail of Bits is looking for: blockchain security engineer & senior software eng
- Celer Network: Android developer
- 0x is looking for all kinds of devs: full-stack, back-end, and front-end
Want your job listing here? $250 per line (~75 character limit including spaces), payable in ETH/DAI/USDC to evan.ethereum.eth. Questions? thecryptonewspodcast at-gmail
Week in Eth News available sponsor slots tokenized as $EVAN
This week, I tokenized a few available sponsorship slots for this newsletter as $EVAN. I also added a few more redemption options. Without me doing anything it got listed on CoinGecko and CoinMarketCap, as well as a semi-accurate CoinTelegraph article. Check it out if you’re interested in my experiment in tokenizing indie media sponsorship space.
Permalink for this week’s issue: https://weekinethereumnews.com/week-in-ethereum-news-august-9-2020/
Did you get forwarded this newsletter? Sign up to receive it weekly
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note (new/changes in bold):
- Aug 9-11 – EDCON
- Aug 13 – Randomness Summit
- Aug 28-29 – Chainlink’s Smart Contract Virtual Summit
- Oct 2-30 – EthOnline hackathon
- Nov 6-7 – virtual Trufflecon