Ethereum News and Links
Top – Tokens, tokens, tokens
- “Thoughts on tokens” by Balaji Srinivasan & Naval Ravikant
- Jon Evans TechCrunch column analogizing Ethereum to Linux in the 90s as far away from when normal people use blockchains.
- Vitalik’s response: “Linux has changed the world.”
- For my part, I’d say IoT capabilities alone could possibly justify multiples of the current Ethereum market cap, eg Grid+ and Oaken (scroll down)
- Kik announced Kin at Token Summit. White paper. Reuters coverage.
- Laura Shin on Token Summit. Plus Jordan Leigh’s conference week zeitgeist.
- Vitalik’s research roundup
- Vitalik: Casper The Friendly Finality Gadget
- CoreDev meeting #16 audio and agenda
- Reitwiessner: “Both [EVM 1.5 and eWASM] will probably lower gas costs of simple operations on small types by an order of magnitude”
- New Parity version fixes its UI bug
- Geth 1.6.2 out
Stuff for developers
- Querying the blockchain with web3j
- Light client ENS resolver
- Trustless off-chain Ethereum authentication, running on Rinkeby testnet
- Compiling your first LLL contract
- How to build a private Ethereum chain
- Jez San teases Fate Channels for randomness
- The Token and Status $25k virtual hackathons start on June 3rd
- State of the ENS: Week 3
- Timestamping invoices for fraud preventions
- Oraclize lets Estonian e-residents control ETH with their ID card
- Localbitcoins for Ethereum: localethereum
- Aragon’s company registry: subdomains on company.eth
- Kyber Network releases white paper
- Althea mesh network white paper
- Decentralized News Network white paper
- Owlchain food provenance
- Steamr’s network of oracles Datacoin white paper
Interviews and Talks
- Fred Wilson fireside chat to close Token Summit. More videos released here.
- Epicenter episodes with Brendan Eich and IPDB – Fred Ehrsam and Trent McConaghy
- Arthur Falls talks to Martin Koeppelman
- Ben Thompson talks about his Stratechery blockchain post
- Meher Roy and Simon de la Rouviere talk with Arthur about attention economies
- Oaken’s conference video. TechCrunch coverage of Toyota alliance
- Grid+ Electricity Markets 101 and User Agency and IoT identity
- MyEtherWallet’s roadmap
- Golem 0.6.0 release
- Everex’s plan to provide financial services to developing world
- Livepeer’s technical white paper and project overview
Token Sale Announcements
- Status plans June 17th token sale and releases white paper
- Adchain announces June 26th token sale. Here’s the white paper.
- OmiseGo publishes white paper and crowdsale doc; I’ve heard rumors of an early to mid June sale.
Token Sale stuff
- Storj sold out $30m. Mysterium sold out 14m in 45 minutes. BAT sold out 36m in 3 blocks.
- Bancor’s roadmap
- Zooko: Why I’m advising BAT. Kudos to Zooko; this should be normal practice.
- SEC official on token sales: you still have a fiduciary duty
- I gave a talk to the Philly Ethereum meetup on whether we’re in a bubble and token sales. Also, wide ranging 45 minutes of Q&A. My answer on regulation is something I’ve been meaning to turn into a blog post for months.
- Reminder that transaction fees can be under a cent if you’re willing to wait a few minutes
- Coindesk took capricious action against Youtuber Omar Bham for streaming their event without giving him a chance to respond, leading to lots of outrage in the community
- The Etherian’s project updates
- Stephan Tual: the web3 stack, revisited
- Fidelity will integrate with Coinbase to show balances, expected in q2 or q3
- Coinbase had 40k new users in a single day
Dates of note
[For ongoing sales, check previous week]
- June 1 – DCorp sale begins
- June 1 – Prospectors sale begins
- June 7 – Cofound.it sale begins [Disclosure: I’m an advisor]
- June 17 – Status sale begins
- June 26 – Adchain sale begins
Bias transparency: if you host a blockchain conference and don’t use Ticketleap, I’m much less likely to include your conference, unless you have a good reason as to why we’re not a good fit. But I doubt there is one, because we’re likely a great fit. /shamelessplug
[I aim for a relatively comprehensive list of Ethereum sales, but make no warranty as to even whether they are legit; as such, I thus likewise warrant nothing about whether any will produce a satisfactory return. I have passed the CFA exams, but this is not investment advice. If you’re interested in what I do, you can find my somewhat out-of-date investing thesis and token sale appreciation strategies in previous newsletters.]
The link for sharing
The best compliment you can give this is to share or upvote this post.
Follow me on Twitter? @evan_van_ness
This newsletter is supported by Status.im. But in case you still want to send Ether (or tokens?): 0x96d4F0E75ae86e4c46cD8e9D4AE2F2309bD6Ec45