Ethereum News and Links
- Project Transparency: “voluntary initiative aims to encourage disclosure of wallets controlled by a project and provide a voluntary explanation of any expenditure greater than 0.5%” Participant list so far: Aragon, Cofound.it, District0x, Encrypgen, Etherisc, Hcash, Iconomi, Indorse, Lykke, Santiment, Dappbase, GATCOIN, Iconiq Lab, Virgil Capital, Musiconomi and Maecenas. This exercise in industry self-regulation is being led by Santiment. Hopefully more projects join.
- Casper finality gadget with one message type, and simpler fork choice rule
- ELI5 the finality gadget by Nate Rush
- ELI5 the finality gadget by Nate Rush
- Light client protocol v2
- Vitalik: “Plasma trades off in a different direction: if there is an attack, then it will take O(N / C) time for everyone to withdraw back to the root chain, so the higher the scaling the more an attacker can cause delays”
- Vitalik: “quadratic sharding is largely figured out at least theoretically”
- How does Ethereum work anyway? by Preethi Kasireddy was fantastic If you want to brush up on the basics of Ethereum. Or send to your friends.
Stuff for developers
- Want to beta test a new built-in formal system for Solidity?
- Piper Merriam is dropping python2 support
- Viper online compiler
- web3.js + truffle + react + parity boilerplate
- Chainsaw – log extraction and decoding with periodic polling from Spankchain
- Security for beginners: Reviewing Ethereum Smart Contracts
- The code injection attack on EtherDelta
- Tug of War – EtherPlay’s new game that comes out of the Status hackathon. Demo video.
- The moderators of r/Ethtrader subreddit are thinking about tokenizing it. I’ve been thinking about tokenizing Week in Ethereum
- Why build wills and conveyances on Ethereum?
- SmartBillions put up 1500 ETH (~450k USD) to prove their code was safe. It got hacked. Pretty amusing to read the top comments on their announcement thread.
- Nice PR stunt: TechCrunch founder Michael Arrington bought a condo in Ukraine using Propy and paying with Ether.
- ConsenSys and TopCoder partner to train more Ethereum developers
- Toshi on the public chain is now available on iOs
- Ethereal Summit in San Francisco on October 27. Use discount code WeekInETH for $100 off
- Fred Ehrsam: Why Decentralized Exchange Protocols Matter
- LinkExchange – AdSense for tokens. powered by UserFeeds
- Paradex – a decentralized exchange on 0x from Ron Bernstein’s Augment Partners
- Decentralized Derivatives – compliant p2p swaps by ex-CFTC employee. github.
- ScriptDrop – incentivized adherence to prescripion drugs. white paper.
- Catallax Trust – lockup your crypto and pay it out in fiat denominated terms. white paper.
- Simple Token – easy issuance of tokens. white paper.
- Keep – off-chain container for private data. white paper.
- Video demo of Althea incentivized mesh networking
- Omise gets a strategic investment from Krungsri, part of Mitsubishi – an EEA member.
- Balanc3: Business processes of the future
- Variabl’s tradeoffs between serverless decentralization and UX for centralization
- Chinese government partnership with FirstBlood for their China University Esports League
- Digiday: How Brendan Eich Plans to Flip the Online Ad Model and Fix the Web
- Colony publishes their white paper and postpones token sale until network is live, planned for Q2 2018
- Alpha release of Dether on Kovan testnet
- NuCypher key management system development roadmap
- Decentraland is starting the process of buying land in its virtual world
Interviews and Talks
- Chris Dixon and Fred Ehrsam talk tokenization on a16z podcast
- MrYukonC talks to EthFinex
- Arthur Falls talks to Nick Dodson of GovernX (formerly Boardroom)
- Amanda Gutterman talks to Laura Shin
- Maksim from Santiment talks to Finance Magnates podcast
- Griff Green podcast interview
- GitToken presentation to Seattle Ethereum meetup
- Interview with Sergey Nazarov from ChainLink/SmartContract
- Jordan Leigh breaks down what’s in the Byzantium hard fork
- SAFT now has a whitepaper and a website.
- Parity starts a KYC service for Ethereum addresses.
- A walkthrough of Jason Teutsch and Vitalik Buterin’s Interactive Coin Offering paper
- Bloomberg: Hedge Funds Flip ICOs, Leaving Other Investors Holding the Bag. There’s at least a soupçon of truth here, but the article was exaggerated for clickbait. Also, in part, pre-sales are becoming increasingly prevalent because of government regulatory bodies.
- Translation of Korean statement on ICOs and token sales. Seems like regulatory agencies around the world are trying to “pump the brakes,” where they signal that they’re watching and wiling to go after bad behavior but not actually “banning” improved capital formation enabled by technology.
- SEC charges a couple of connected sales with fraud. Well…they did look like fraud. Good on them.
- Teemu Paivinen: Thin protocols. A worthy counterpoint to Fat Protocols. It’s not really what I mean when I say I’m a fat protocols skeptic though.
Token Sale Projects
- VirtuePoker presentation to NYC Ethereum meetup
- AirSwap Roadmap
- Invoicing & Reputation on Request Network
- Week in celeb token shilling: DJ Khaled
- Wu-Tang rapper Ghostface Killah in Crypto Rules Everything Around Me Capital.
- How Leverj “centralizes speed-critical functions and decentralizes safety-critical functions”
- Mercury Protocol’s token sale details
- More on Cofound.it Seed matching projects to appropriate funding for their stage and how projects get picked.
- NYTimes Nathaniel Popper: Understanding Ethereum, Bitcoin’s Virtual Cousin
- One of Trump’s cybersecurity aides publicly said that they’re considering using a cryptographic system to replace the Social Security number.
- John Wolpert, one of Hyperledger’s leaders, has joined ConsenSys
- IMF head Christine Lagarde: digital assets could be the future
- Japanese conglomerate KDDI (#141 on the Forbes 2000) joins the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance.
- WSJ reports that GoldmanSachs is exploring a digital asset trading desk.
Dates of note
From Token Sale Calendar:
Upcoming token sale start dates:
- October 5 – RNDR
- October 5 – Crypto.Tickets
- October 6 – VuePay
- October 10 – AirSwap
- October 10 – Air Token (registration Oct 5 -7)
- October 10 – Notary Platform
- October 11 – Duber
- October 11 – Fintrux
- October 13 – Streamr (registration Oct 6-9)
- October 13 – Request Network
- October 15 – Paypie
- October 16 – Raiden Network
- October 16 – Horizon State
- October 16 – Sense Token
- October 17 – Ripio Credit Network
- October 18 – Leverj
- October 19 – Privatix
- October 20 – Gizer (SaftLaunch presale already open)
- October 20 – WandX
- October 21 – Synapse
- October 24 – SpankChain
- October 24 – TokenBox
- October 25 – Mercury Protocol (registration opens Oct 10)
- October 28 – Gatcoin
- October 30 – Grid+
- October 30 – Snov
- October 30 – Stayawhile
- October 30 – Swarm Market
- November 1 – Kudos Project
- November 1 – Winding Tree
- November 1 – ScriptDrop
- November 1 – RockChain
- November 1 – Debitum
- November 1 – PayFair
- November 1 – LevelNet
- November 3 – Dmarket
- Novemer 6 – Media Sifter
- November 13 – Sharpe Capital
- November 13 – Gazecoin
- November 20 – FundRequest
Ongoing token sales:
- Self Pay
- Customization Basic Income
- Assistive Reality
- Jibrel Network
- Databroker DAO
Want to be included? If you are building your project on Ethereum, email weekinethereum @ gmail [period] com with 1) your URL, 2) sale date and 3) a brief but convincing description of how you are using Ethereum, preferably with a link to your Github repo. Listings are free. But please make sure to follow those instructions. If you don’t follow the instructions, you likely won’t get a response.
WARNING: list may include or even likely includes scams and quasi-scams. Do your own research and due diligence before putting value at risk.
[I aim for a relatively comprehensive list of Ethereum sales, but make no warranty as to even whether they are legit; as such, I thus likewise warrant nothing about whether any will produce a satisfactory return. I have passed the CFA exams, but this is not investment advice. If you’re interested in what I do, you can find my somewhat out-of-date investing thesis and token sale appreciation strategies in previous newsletters.]
ConsenSys makes this newsletter possible
If you get value from this newsletter, thank ConsenSys:
My charge from Joe Lubin is pretty similar to what Status has told me: keep telling the truth and covering the space as objectively as I can.
It’s time to shakeup this section. Maybe next week
I’d love it if you shared this newsletter.
Follow me on Twitter? @evan_van_ness