Eth News and Links
Mainnet execution layer
- Geth v1.10.3: new Grafana dashboard, next release likely to have snap sync as default, eth/65 now the minimum
- FuzzyVM: an EVM differential fuzzing framework
- A proposed design for witness gas costs after switching to Verkle trees
- Notes from the London coordination call
- Baikal, the latest London devnet, will launch this week
- EIP3554: difficulty bomb delay
Proof of stake consensus layer
- Latest consensus layer call. Notes from Ben Edgington and Alex Stokes: Altair upgrade aggressively aimed at August
- Latest what’s new in eth2 reviews last week’s “very encouraging” ephemeral multi-client testnet to turn off PoW
- For (somewhat technical) stakers: track your relative performance
- New Ledger Nano S firmware supports Eth staking deposits
- Secret shared validators (MPC for distributed control of a staker), phase 1 testing summary: several shared validators successfully staked on Pyrmont testnet
- How Eth staking incentives promote decentralization and client diversity
- OKEx to support deposits/withdrawals to Arbitrum
- StarkEx crosses $1b traded across dydx, Deversifi, and Immutable
- Two standardization efforts for layer2 and sidechains: standard arbitrary message bridge and an outline for a standard interface token transfers
This newsletter is made possible thanks to 1inch Network!
The 1inch Network brings together the best decentralized protocols whose synergies enable the fastest, most lucrative, and most protected operations in the DeFi space. The 1inch Aggregation Protocol facilitates cost-efficient and secure swap transactions across multiple liquidity sources and the 1inch Liquidity Protocol is a next-generation automated market maker that protects users from front-running attacks and offers attractive opportunities to liquidity providers.
In late April, the team at 1inch Network released the 1inch Wallet for iOS, a highly protected and innovative solution for storing, receiving, sending, and swapping crypto assets on Ethereum and Binance Smart Chain.
Download the 1inch Wallet for iOS now and start swapping at the best market rates.
For more info check 1inch.io and follow the 1inch Network’s official Twitter!
Stuff for developers
- Typechain v5 (TypeScript bindings for Eth code)
- ETK: EVM bytecode assembler and disassembler
- Tool to simulate transactions with mainnet state
- Full documentation of Solidity’s optimizer – the old one using opcodes and the new one on Yul
- Tutorial on new upgradable UUPS (EIP1822) proxy pattern in OpenZeppelin
- Building graphQL APIs on Ethereum
- New transaction types, understanding Berlin’s EIP2718 Typed Transaction Envelope
- Pinata now offers dedicated IPFS gateways
- Dabit and Austin Griffith video discussion of how web2 devs can learn to build web3 apps with Ethereum
- Rari hacked for ~4k ETH (~$15m) across both Ethereum and BinanceSmartChain using fake tokens similar to the Pickle attack
- Binance’s ValueDefi hacked twice this week for a total of ~$21m, once by reintializing a function and once by improperly calculating exponents
- Insecure RNG in Meebits minting exploited for a rare Meebit. The unverified source code allowed for LarvaLabs to pause the minting.
- Guido Vranken finds Golang bug as part of Eth bounty program
- EF Fellowship’s first cohort, an pilot program to nurture public sector adoption in emerging economies
- Uniswap v3 launches and quickly becomes #2 dex behind v2 with some of the NFT LP positions containing rare sparkles
- Neat v3 LP strategy simulator tool
- Synthetix’s Kwenta crosses $1b trading mark
- What’s in a Commons Stack token hatch?
- Gary Vaynerchuk announces Veefriends: NFT series with accompanying real world rights from mentoring to Veecon to gift boxes
- VanEck files for ETH ETF
- The road to Eth 150k with Nikhil Shamapant
- S&P releases three crypto indexes: ETH, BTC, and a combo of both
- Cryptofees.info v2 adds ability to go back in time to specific date, a PS ratio, and extra details on each project
- Coinbase committing to decentralization by closing its former San Fran HQ
- Twitter adds tipping features with accompanying major privacy fails: your email address and your address
- Apple ends opaque cross-app iPhone tracking. Android is worse, of course.
- The Raiden team is hiring a Growth and Marketing Lead in Berlin
- Devs + researchers; build fixed-income, leverage & P2P markets w/Prometheus
- DeFi coverage protocol Solace, launching May, seeks Solidity and Frontend devs
- ENS is hiring all kinds of devs, plus Community, Integration & Governance leads
- Join Zerion as Product Manager and take DeFi to the next level
- Giveth is hiring experienced Solidity Devs interested in #Defi4good
- Join our team to help bring Ethereum into governments as a dApp developer
- BitGo’s WBTC team is hiring Blockchain Engineers, Sr. Blockchain Engineers and Lead Blockchain Engineers. (You can check out the rest of our jobs here!)
Want your job listing here? $345 per line (~75 character limit including spaces), payable in ETH (or 345 DAI or 345 USDC) to evan.ethereum.eth. Questions? thecryptonewspodcast at-gmail
If you’re wondering “why didn’t my post make it into Week in Ethereum News,” then please put it on an Ethereum subreddit; emails/DMs are not part of my workflow.
Please click the following if you’re interested in sponsoring the newsletter.
Twitter: follow @WeekinEthNews to find out what the most clicked are. Follow @evan_van_ness to get most of the week’s news in real time.
Permalink for this week’s issue: https://weekinethereumnews.com/week-in-ethereum-news-may-9-2021/
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note (new/changes in bold):
- May 14 – papers due for WoSCA 2021
- May 14 – Jun 2 – 0xHack
- May 18-21 – EY Global Blockchain Summit
- May 21 – Linda Xie and Austin Griffith talk Eth dev tooling
- Jul 14 – tentative date for London hard fork (Ropsten June 9, Goerli June 16, Rinkeby June 23)
- Jul 20-22 – EthCC4 (Paris)
Did you get forwarded this newsletter? Sign up to receive it weekly