Eth News and Links
- Geth v1.9.7, sets the block for the Istanbul upgrade. Update your nodes!
- Stateless Ethereum has superseded state rent
- A turboproofs explainer
- Transaction execution in the EVM, part 4 of yellow paper walkthrough series
- Latest What’s New in Eth2
- Danny Ryan’s weekly quick update discusses some small changes to the fork choice rule in response to some Ryuya Nakamura research, as well as a grant to Shigeo Mitsunari for an optimized BLS sig library
- Latest Eth2 implementer call. Notes from Ben
- Light client task force’s first call includes a Q&A with Zsolt Felfoldi on incenting light client servers
- Protolambda’s practical detection of surround voting
- Reddit AMAs with CBC Casper and Prysmatic
- A list of open challenges and bounties: VDF FPGA competition, MiMC Hash Challenge, Legendre PRF Bounties, Starkware hash challenge, bug bounties
- John Adler on the why of optimistic rollup
- An overview of Idex’s planned rollup
- LazyLedger: a data availability layer using erasure codes
- Matter Labs compares zk rollup and optimistic rollup
Stuff for developers
- Ethereum Studio – a new IDE hosted on ethereum.org, with accompanying tutorials for its templates
- ethPM and Remix, tutorial for a universal front end
- Breaking changes to the MetaMask inpage provider
- 3Box extensions, plugins to make it easier to add decentralized authentication, storage and messaging. Kames’ decentralized identity wallet on 3Box
- Two new CryptoZombies Solidity lessons on testing and deploying with Mocha and Truffle
- Infura: EthQL vs JSON RPC
- Query Ethereum data with SQL on DuneAnalytics and easily create dashboards
- OpenZeppelin SDK 2.6, upgrades the web3js to v1.2.2
- Typechain v1: Typescript bindings for smart contracts
- Winners of ETHWaterloo (all submissions) and Kyber’s DeFi virtual hackathon (all submissions). For 2020: EthGlobal online hackathons
- MarketingDAO: a Moloch fork to work on Ethereum branding and evangelism
- The most popular ENS domains in the .eth short name auction. Meanwhile you can immediately register all available .eth domains. I’m also noticing an increasing trend of trustless subdomains for sale, eg ethmojis.eth subdomains
- Solving spam in Whisper through Semaphore rate limiting
- A guide to how easy it is to run full nodes
- Token Taxonomy Framework v1
- Microsoft’s Azure Blockchain Tokens building on the token standard
Governance and standards
- EIP2364: eth/64: forkid-extended protocol handshake
- EIP2348: Validated EVM contracts
- ERC2367: Open grant standard
- Valuing governance tokens using Banzhaf’s index
- Burn Signal – burn Eth to quadratically signal your position using BrightID for sybil resistance
- LeapDAO on using “Colony reputation with holocracy”
- Futarchy in the next Aragon vote
- QuadraticMoloch: from Democracy Earth, an extension of MolochDAO with quadratic voting
- Maker debt ceiling is now 120m after the 100m ceiling was reached. Stability fee is 5%.
- rDai is live on mainnet. Splits the principal (Dai) and interest (rDai) of cDai, so you can send your interest anywhere you want, ie a charity or a hot wallet.
- What to expect with the launch of MCD. Greg Di Prisco’s why multi-collateral Dai (MCD). The migration risk mitigation document
- Maker governance analytics dashboard.
- How Centrifuge tokenizes account receivables, which makes it perfect for MCD
- Swap Rate, if you want fixed rate interest instead of DeFi’s predominant floating rates
- Inverse strategies on TokenSets
- Uniswag market for selling tokenized goods, a la Unisocks
- A revamped uniswap.info, lots of interesting info. Likewise on Dune Analytics’ dex dashboard
- Nexus Mutual’s capital floor is now dynamic, so more coverage can be written for popular things like Compound
- Oxfam/Aon/Etherisc first agricultural insurance payouts to Sri Lankan farmers
- Streamlining legal contracts with OpenLaw’s Forms and Flow
Tokens / Business / Regulation
- Simon de la Rouviere: property rights as new markets in the arts
- Commons Stack’s Trusted Seed. A sort of “early bonding curve holders as a service”
- Buy tokenized real estate through Uniswap (though of course you still need to be whitelisted)
- A different Flippening: ERC20 and ERC721 token transactions now exceed ETH transactions, led by Tether, Dai and an explosion in Gods Unchained card trading.
- Claim on reserves token model, a la PoolTogether or NexusMutual
- USDC hits 50m borrowed in DeFi
- SLONK, a simple universal SNARK
- A BLS sig explainer for busy people
- a16z’s crypto startup school, a free, 7 week program in Menlo Park, CA
- 500 Nigerian Eth devs to answer the #onemilliondevs open call
- Academic paper says one whale was responsible for the 2017 bull market. Circle’s Jeremy Allaire says that is nonsense.
- Joe Lubin print Q&A by Michael del Castillo
- Vitalik’s EthWaterloo interview by Cami Russo
- Sometimes the bad guys lose: how Cloudflare defeated a patent troll.
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note (new in bold):
- Nov 18 – Multi-collateral Dai launches
- Dec 6 – Istanbul network upgrade
- Jan 1 – Augur v1 cutoff
- Jan 31 – deadline for EU ledger 200k euro grants for blockchain startups
- Feb 9-15 – EthLagos
- Feb 14-16 – ETHDenver
- Mar 3-5 – EthCC (Paris)
If you appreciate this newsletter, thank ConsenSys
This newsletter is made possible by ConsenSys.
I own 100% Week In Ethereum. Editorial control has always been me.
If you’re wondering “why didn’t my post make it into Week in Ethereum,” then here’s a hint: don’t email me. Do put it on Reddit.
It’s amazing to me how many people email me when every issue has a link at the bottom saying not to email me to get in the newsletter.
If you’re unhappy with editorial decisions or anything that I have written in this issue, feel free to tweet at me.
I want your links: weekinethereumnews.com
Archive on the web if you’re linking to it: https://weekinethereumnews.com/week-in-ethereum-news-november-10-2019/
Follow me on Twitter, because most of what is linked here gets tweeted first: @evan_van_ness
Did you get forwarded this newsletter? Sign up to receive the weekly email