Eth News and Links
- Geth v1.9.20 bugfix release – new blockchain database layout, Go v1.15
- There was a kerfuffle about OpenEthereum this week: as announced Aug 14, the next release in a week or two is backporting features to v2.5 codebase because current release has stability issues. The new release might not require resyncing.
- Turbogeth weekly alpha release, fixes memory leak and stability improvements
- Where Regenesis fits in the eth1 roadmap
- Fee market reform: a question of fairness?
- Notes from the latest 1559/fee market reform call
- Eth1 merged into eth2: demo of an Eth1 transfer inside an eth2 client. It’s dockerized, so you can run it yourself
- What hardware should I buy to stake my Eth?
- Client diversity matters: Bankless guide to get started staking on the Medalla testnet
- A script for easy Nimbus deployment
- Attestant opensources its distributed remote keymanager
- Barnabé Monnot: agent based validator modeling with new strategies and behaviors. Python notebook
This newsletter is made possible thanks to Celer!
Celer is a coherent layer-2 scaling platform on Ethereum powered by Generalized State Channel Network and Hybrid Rollup technology. Real money games, such as Arcade Win and Daub Cash, built using Celer’s gaming-focused SDK just reached top #10 ranking in App Store.
We are hosting a campaign to expand state channel network on Ethereum with $20,000 prizes.
We have also just launched State Guardian Network beta testnet. Follow us on twitter, blog, discord and telegram.
Stuff for developers
- Improving Eth dev ex: faster compiling/testing, better debugging, better editors/IDEs and more
- ethers-contract-hook: package to generate hooks from Ethers contract functions
- A buidler plugin to easily verify on Etherscan
- Using scaffold-eth to build an NFT art sales app on xdai
- create-eth-app v1.4 adds IPFS deployment
- A strongly typed fixed point math library to prevent the YAM bug
- YFV pool exploit
- Solidity bugs compiled to Yul
- 10 points about the Diamond proxy standard
- Identifying orchestration patterns in Solidity: simple (Uniswap), more complicated (Yield) and…Maker.
- ERC2917: Staking Reward Calculation
- Beware of generalized frontrunners: the transaction pool is a dark forest
- EthGas.watch: an aggregator of gasprice predictions that will email you when gas prices drop
- EthVM: an opensource block explorer from MyEtherWallet
- Uniswap frontend now requires that you pick a token list
- Quorum moves to ConsenSys. As part of the deal, JPMorgan invests in ConsenSys
- Video demo of OpenLaw integration with Microsoft Office
- Baseline Protocol v0.1, set of standard interfaces for privately using Eth mainnet as the source of truth between enterprises
- Uniswap flipped Coinbase for transaction volume and flipped Bitcoin for transaction fees
- Aave #1 on DefiPulse for TVL. Aave company also got a UK license to provide payment services.
- Goodghosting is live: multiple people save regularly using Aave, those who don’t miss a payment get the interest of those who miss a payment
- Sushiswap: deposit your uniswap LP tokens and get SUSHI back (10% for anonymous team) then after 2 weeks it becomes a Uniswap competitor with fees accruing to Sushi holders. More than 500m locked in less than a week
- Aragon has a conviction funding pilot
- Meme: it began as a joke, now it’s NFT farming
- TokenBrice on understanding the rules of vegetable meme ponzis
- SEC slightly relaxes accredited investor standards
- FTX acquires Blockfolio for $150 million
- USDC v2: adds permit for gasless transactions and more multisigs for administration
- Tokenized BTC (there’s now more than 52000 BTC on ETH): 1 click to turn BTC to WBTC on imToken
- 0x’s new request for quote system for professional market makers
- Fairlaunch capital experiment in funding networks owned by their community from outset
- The bear case for yield farming
- Valuing ETH as privately owned public infrastructure
- Three “Obfuscation August” papers: Indistinguishability Obfuscation from Well-Founded Assumptions, Indistinguishability Obfuscation from Circular Security, Factoring and Pairings are not Necessary for iO: Circular-Secure LWE Suffices
- Coinbase: understanding accumulators by implementing in Rust
- Hermez zk rollup on their process of using multi-party ceremonies
- ETC 51% attacked again with a reorg of 2 days
- BnkToTheFuture is hiring a high performance dev team! Come create the future!
- Celer Network is seeking Solidity and Go devs. Email: email@example.com
- 0x is hiring full-stack, back-end, front-end or Solidity devs
- Help Chainlink foster a security culture as a security engineer
- Trail of Bits: blockchain security engineer & cryptography analystsenior software engineers
Want your job listing here? $250 per line (~75 character limit including spaces), payable in ETH/DAI/USDC to evan.ethereum.eth. Questions? thecryptonewspodcast at-gmail
If you want to sponsor newsletter, read this:
The available sponsorship slots were tokenized ($EVAN) for this newsletter. You can now buy enough for a newsletter OTC from me at the spot price, or directly on Balancer – but you’ll likely get a better price from me.
Follow me on twitter: @evan_van_ness
Permalink for this week’s issue: https://weekinethereumnews.com/week-in-ethereum-news-august-30-2020/
Did you get forwarded this newsletter? Sign up to receive it weekly
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note (new/changes in bold):
- Sep 1 – BlockVigil’s free online Eth developer bootcamp starts
- Oct 2-30 – EthOnline hackathon
- Nov 6-7 – virtual Trufflecon
- Nov 16 – MetaMask Provider breaking changes