Eth News and Links
- How to have a lightweight Nethermind node for eth2 staking
- The current hard fork planning process as it goes into the Berlin fork/upgrade
- Account abstraction community call
- An account abstraction technical explainer from Status
Proof of Stake launch
- We have over 50% of the ETH in the deposit contract necessary to launch the chain.
- Eth research AMA: explicit statement that data shards (“phase 1”) and swapping out PoW for PoS (commonly called “the merge” or “phase 1.5”) are getting spec’d independently and are not dependent on each other. That means ending PoW could happen before data shards, though it probably will not.
- Data availability sampling proposal
- Medalla data challenge results – top prize to Jim McDonald’s chaind and Pintail
- Eth2 deposit CLI v1.1, adds Pyrmont testnet
- Ledger Nano X now supports eth2 (but not Ledger Nano S)
- Somer Esat’s guides to staking updated for Pyrmont testnet:
- Running an eth validator for the barely motivated
- Dankrad: staking on a Raspberry Pi
- Connext’s cross-layer 2 via channels on testnet
- Zk rollups with data shards: linking the data availability with the execution
This newsletter is made possible thanks to Celer!
We are excited to announce that Phase One of the Celer State Guardian Network (SGN) mainnet is now up and running! Staking will start from December 1, 2020. SGN is the last piece of Celer Network’s coherent layer-2 scaling platform. This launch marks another significant milestone of the Celer layer-2 blockchain scaling platform after our State Channel Network, which was successfully launched more than a year ago and supports hundreds of thousands of users today.
Real money games, such as Arcade Win and Daub Cash, built using Celer’s gaming-focused SDK just reached top #10 ranking in App Store.
Follow us on twitter, blog, discord and telegram.
Stuff for developers
- Nomic Labs on a year massively improving the Eth dev experience
- Solidity v0.7.5 – switch between ABI encoder v1 and v2, also experimental Yul-based compiler pipeline
- Prettier Solidity plugin gets a first beta release
- If you can open a terminal, you can create an ERC20 token with scaffold-eth and OpenZeppelin contracts
- Update on Fe Python-like language development
- web3j v4.8
- Ette: block, transaction and event indexing in PostgreSQL, query via REST API
- Quiknode’s Etherflow node debugging tool, supports web3js and ethersjs
- Pickle attacked for 19.8m Dai by deploying evil jars.
- Samczsun finds attack-in-process on 88mph. 88mph thwarts the attack and will distribute the attacker’s $100k to users
- Attacker finds re-entrancy in Origin Protocol to steal $8m
- Cheesebank got hit in a flashloan oracle depegging for 3.3m
- Consensys Diligence token interaction checklist
- An explanation of challenge #1 of DamnVulnerableDefi
- Why has decentralized proof of stake taken 6 years? Jeff Coleman answers
- Circle, AirTM, and the US federal government work with Juan Guaido’s dissident government to provide aid to Venezuela using USDC.
- Post-Uniswap farming ending, Maker back on top for most value locked (no link)
- In response, competitors like 1inch and dxDAO’s Swapr offering incentives. Uniswap governance discussing whether to offer more incentives
- 0x’s Matcha dex aggregator adds 1000+ tokens
- How Livepeer’s decentralized transcoding is better than centralized: no bootup time means no need to reserve transcoding server 24/7
- Streamr’s data union framework is live
- Quadratic funding experiments: Austin Griffith’s build guild (donate to support next generation of Eth devs!) and CLR fund (uses MACI so donations are private!)
- SEC no action letter for IMVU social network emphasizes that the network is usable on day 1 and the token has a fixed price.
- tldr: SEC will still only issue no action letters if it’s ridiculously far away from being a security and breaks just about every prong of the Howey test
- OCC proposes banning Obama’s Operation Chokepoint. This would mandate fair banking access for legal products like crypto
- AirBnB explicitly mentions tokenization as a future possibility in IPO paperwork
- Github restores youtube-dl reversing a DMCA takedown and donates $1m to DMCA defense fund
- Godaddy employees get social engineered to attack crypto sites
- Nexus Mutual: experienced Solidity dev in Euro timezones
- Celer hiring Solidity and Go devs. Email: email@example.com
- 0x looking for Matcha marketing manager and all flavors of developers
- Join Chainlink Labs as a Developer Advocate
- Trail of Bits is hiring cryptography analyst & blockchain security devs
Want your job listing here? $250 per line (~75 character limit including spaces), payable in ETH (or 250 DAI or 250 USDC) to evan.ethereum.eth. Questions? thecryptonewspodcast at-gmail
If you’re wondering “why didn’t my post make it into Week in Ethereum News,” then please put it on an Ethereum subreddit; emails/DMs are not part of my workflow.
Please click the following if you’re interested in sponsoring the newsletter.
Follow the newsletter on twitter: @WeekinEthNews
Permalink for this week’s issue: https://weekinethereumnews.com/week-in-ethereum-news-november-22-2020/
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note (new/changes in bold):
- Nov 24 – last day to deposit to be in proof of stake genesis block
- Dec 1 – Proof of stake launch (if enough deposits by Nov 24)
- Dec 2 – Gitcoin CLR matching round starts
- Dec 3 – Ethereum in the Enterprise: Asia Pacific 2020
- Dec 22 – Deadline to apply for proof of stake community grants
- Feb 5-12 – ETHDenver (virtual)
- Mar 2-4 – EthCC4 (Paris)
Did you get forwarded this newsletter? Sign up to receive it weekly