Eth News and Links
- Upgrade your nodes for Istanbul, scheduled for block 9,069,000 which will likely arrive on December 7
- A rundown of what is in the Istanbul network upgrade
- Meanwhile, the ice age is beginning to occur. Should we fix it in Istanbul or in a separate fork in a month?
- All about the difficulty calculation and the mechanism by which we should de-ice the Ice Age
- ethereumJS VM v4.1.1
- EVMC v7 – client-EVM connector API
- evmone v0.3, a fast EVM C++ implementation
- Latest what’s new in Eth2
- Latest Eth2 implementer call. Ben’s notes.
- Danny Ryan’s weekly update announces grant for eth2 fuzzer, discusses the mechanics of the eth2 deposit contract, and efforts on lights clients
- More on Sigma Prime’s Beacon Fuzz
- Will Villanueva: Eth2 phase2 progress. You can also check out Will talking phase 2 on the EthHub podcast
- A tour of the history of how relayers and fee markets will work in Eth2
- Jim McDonald proposes some different validator economic parameters
- How the Prysmatic testnet is performing
- There’s now an Eth2 block explorer using Prysmatic’s client
- Rocket Pool wraps up their second Eth2 staking pool beta
- Runtime Verification’s plan for Kwasm
- How Arbitrum’s multi-round rollup differs from zk and optimistic (and followup post with more details)
- WalletConnect supports Connext so app devs can inject channels easily into browsers
- Difficulties in building Ethereum and Bitcoin watchtowers
Stuff for developers
- Updated list of contracts with EIP1884 issues
- Quick vs full analysis in MythX
- Monitoring, debugging and gas profiling in Tenderly
- A Typechain plugin for Buidlr
- New tools for running IPFS nodes from Infura
- Build your dapp with Golem’s gWASM
- Austin Griffith’s latest eth.build lesson
- Moving Arwen’s code to CREATE2
- A beta version of decentralized metadata and source code
- Blocknative’s notify.js a front end library for a transaction’s life cycle
- Rust crate for BLS12-381 pairing library
- BLS12-381 pairing library in Go
- 3Box architecture to decentrally manage user data
- Ethereum Foundation’s Ecosystem Support Program calls for applications
- “Hard problems in cryptocurrency.” Vitalik Buterin’s retrospective on progress made in 5 years, and what the hard problems are today.
- Microsoft releases an MIT-licensed enclave-ready C++ EVM implementation
- Hyperledger Besu v1.3.5
- JPMorgan using Quorum to track inventory for auto dealers
Governance and standards
- Wei Tang on backward compatibility
- Delegated voting in the LAO
- Multi-Collateral Dai is live on mainnet. Maker’s official migrate page for Sai to Dai.
- People are already wrapping Dai that’s locked into the DSR to earn interest so that it’s liquid: DAI-HRD and Chai
- ETH/BTC EMA automated ratio trading on Set
- Origin Protocol’s decentralized alternative to Shopify, using ENS domain, IPFS and Eth as money (ie, as payment rail, you can pay in tokens too)
- Kyber is removing fees for bridge reserves and smarter use of Oasis orderbook
- Aragon releases its decentralized court
- Poop.exchange: using UMA’s synthetic builder for a token tracking San Francisco human feces reports. Could align local government incentives.
Tokens / Business / Regulation
- GodsUnchained card transfers driving a huge spike in ERC721 transactions
- Synthetix adds synthetic LINK, LTC, XRP and a DeFi basket
- Easy minting of ERC1155 tokens
- Token Engineering tools and standards
- the story and mission of rDai
- Allocating public goods through tokenization
- Monerium emoney now available in Denmark, France, Germany, Lithuania, Sweden & UK
- The response from Grin devs. As with many things in privacy/security, depends on your threat model.
- Monero’s official site served compromised binaries last week
- Zero fee trading on Shapeshift with their token
- VanityFair on Quadriga and Gerald Cotten
- LocalEthereum becomes LocalCryptos to take on LocalBitcoins, since it is non-custodial and has encrypted messaging. On Dether, retail stores can add themselves to the map
- Comparing general purpose SNARKs
- zero knowledge proofs for better password security in web2
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note (new in bold):
- Nov ~27 – deadline to register for r/ethtrader donut tokens
- Dec 2-16 – Gitcoin Global Communities virtual hackathon
- Dec ~7 – Istanbul network upgrade
- Jan 1 – Augur v1 cutoff
- Jan 13 – Metamask breaking change: inpage provider fully compatible with EIPs 1102 & 1193
- Jan 31 – deadline for EU ledger 200k euro grants for blockchain startups
- Feb 9-15 – EthLagos
- Feb 14-16 – ETHDenver
- Mar 3-5 – EthCC (Paris)
- Apr 3-7 – Edcon (Vienna)
If you appreciate this newsletter, thank ConsenSys
This newsletter is made possible by ConsenSys.
I own 100% Week In Ethereum. Editorial control has always been me.
If you’re wondering “why didn’t my post make it into Week in Ethereum,” then here’s a hint: don’t email me. Do put it on Reddit.
It’s amazing to me how many people email me when every issue has a link at the bottom saying not to email me to get in the newsletter.
If you’re unhappy with editorial decisions or anything that I have written in this issue, feel free to tweet at me.
I want your links: weekinethereumnews.com
Archive on the web if you’re linking to it: https://weekinethereumnews.com/week-in-eth-news-november-25-2019/
Follow me on Twitter, because most of what is linked here gets tweeted first: @evan_van_ness
Did you get forwarded this newsletter? Sign up to receive the weekly email