Eth News and Links
- All the cool protocol changes happening in 2021
- Latest 1559 implementer call. Beiko’s notes
- Transaction pool sorting with 1559
- Block variance in 1559 is fine
- Barnabé’s notebook simulating the transition to 1559
- Basefee manipulation simulations in 1559
- A list of 1559 resources
- Piper: how to get functional light clients, part 2, part 3
- Alexandra state network update: successful 20 node testnet serving 1m block headers
- Latest what’s new in eth2. The chain “could hardly be running better.” Upgrade in ~6 months to fine-tune and reset slashing penalties.
- Latest eth2 implementer call. Ben Edgington’s notes. Discussion of what goes into the first eth2 upgrade.
- Ethstaker video with Danny Ryan: turning off PoW is closer than expected and probably the priority before sharding
- eth2 issuance: it’s quite low overall and about 95% of the theoretical maximum
- Why is my attestation reward negative if the attestation was immediately included?
- Optimism soft launches with Synthetix, who is rolling out their optimistic rollup transition in five phases
- You can now transfer to any Eth address on Loopring even if they haven’t yet enabled the zk-rollup
- Connext Vector launches cross-layer2 routing network
This newsletter is made possible thanks to Celer!
Celer is a coherent layer-2 scaling platform on Ethereum powered by Generalized State Channel Network and Hybrid Rollup technology. Celer has just published a review on the technology and adoption achievements in 2020 and the roadmap update in 2021. Follow Celer on twitter, blog, discord and telegram.
Stuff for developers
- Metamask provider breaking changes are live
- ethers-rs v2
- Restless, simple validation library for express.js and Ethereum
- Using Smock to mock contracts in Hardhat
- Tutorial on deploying governance with Hardhat
- EthGlobal’s DeFi exploits panel video
- Maurelian finds a bzx-style batchTransfer vulnerability in the Sandbox
- Notional finance fixed-rate loaning launches on mainnet
- Yield has fixed-rate, fixed-term loans for Maker using flash loans
- Personal tokens this week from techno DJ Carl Cox, Rick and Morty creator Justin Roiland, indie rockers Portugal the man, and DJ 3LAU
- Cream’s Ironbank – protocols get whitelisted and then can borrow up to credit limit without collateral
- 1559 will allow Oiler to create native gas price derivatives
- Stablecoin designs: Fei, a dollarcoin collateralized by ETH on a bonding curve
- Coinbase, Kraken, Binance and Gemini users can buy cover for custody risk on Nexus Mutual
- Mnuchin gives up and punts proposed wallet regulations to Biden administration
- OCC allows Anchorage to become a bank
- OCC head Brian Bondy: get ready for selfdriving banks
- Must be a bull market: GoldmanSachs crypto custody is back
- Andre Cronje’s defi sucks rant about community and value
- Be careful what apps you download in an app store, fake apps on rise again. Remember: phone numbers in crypto considered harmful.
- Readable Eth transactions on a hardware wallet with the GridPlus Lattice
- Ledger has another data leak via Shopify
- Censorship resistance and responsibility, viewed from the Livepeer lens
- Trail of Bits is looking for a technical editor/writer & security engineer
- Nexus Mutual: experienced Solidity dev in Euro timezones
- 0x looking for devs of all types and a Matcha marketing manager
Want your job listing here? $250 per line (~75 character limit including spaces), payable in ETH (or 250 DAI or 250 USDC) to evan.ethereum.eth. Questions? thecryptonewspodcast at-gmail
If you’re wondering “why didn’t my post make it into Week in Ethereum News,” then please put it on an Ethereum subreddit; emails/DMs are not part of my workflow.
Please click the following if you’re interested in sponsoring the newsletter.
Permalink for this week’s issue: https://weekinethereumnews.com/week-in-ethereum-news-jan-18-2021/
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note (new/changes in bold):
- Jan 22 – Feb 21 – EthIndia’s EtherPunk hackathon
- Feb 5-12 – EthDenver (virtual)
- Mar 5 – Financial Cryptography DeFi academic workshop
- Apr 6-8 – EthCC4 (Paris)
Did you get forwarded this newsletter? Sign up to receive it weekly