Ethereum News and Links
Protocol and client release
- Plasma implementation call #1
- Core dev call. Agenda.
- Karl Floersch on Casper FFG talk at BPASE
- Initial explorations on taking Casper FFG to full PoS
- Bjorn and Max from Parity talk to Giveth about bridging chains
- Parity v1.9: performance tuning release. faster warp sync, less hard drive usage, less bandwidth due to snappy
Stuff for developers
- Bernhard Mueller: Using formal verification to avoid bugs
- Matthew Di Ferrante: Mechanism Design Security against frontrunning and malicious wrappers
- CryptoZombies lesson 4
- Lots of new stuff in Web3.py v4
- AragonOS 3.0 alpha
- EEA welcomes 80 more members, including AMD, EY, Pfizer, RBC.
- Infura relayed over 7 million ETH in 2017
- Mark Beylin: creating standards for Ethereum bounties. Bounties Network, Gitcoin, and Status all working together.
- EthGasStation: best predictions by using both mined transactions and the transaction pool
- Owning an ENS domain can be as easy as buying a DNS name.
- Ayako Miyaguchi is the new Exec Director of the Ethereum Foundation.
- Status invests $5m in Riot.im/Matrix, which will cross-integrate messaging and dapps using the Status token
- The Augur white paper
- KyberNetwork to launch on Feb 11 for original KGT buyers
- Cofound.it q4 report
- Spankchain – payment channels, working on streaming video
- FunFair – working on FateChannels, getting ready for ICE, working on regulatory applications
- Iconomi Q4 financial report
- Maker: The road ahead for Dai
- Melonport quarterly – going live on mainnet in February with bug bounty. Their manager competition is live on the Kovan testnet
Interviews, Podcasts, Videos, Talks
- Zeppelin’s Manuel Araoz on Epicenter
- I talk to Ben Siegel from Blockchain for Social Impact on how non-profits can use Ethereum
- A16z podcast: Nick Tomaino and Chris Dixon talk tokens
- How Fabian Vogelsteller wants to change the fashion industry with Lukso
- Let’s Talk ETC: Everett Hildenbrandt talks KEVM
- Kevin Owocki talks Gitcoin on the Changelog
- Joe Lubin talk at Davos
- Rhys Lindmark talks to ConsenSys Token Foundry’s Harrison Hines
- Maciej Olpinksi talk on Userfeeds
- Fabric Ventures: State of Token Data
- Arsenal Football Club getting into the ICO shilling game.
- OMERS (Ontario govt employees retirement) linked to $50m capital raise to invest in the Ethereum ecosystem
- CFTC subpoenaed Bitfinex/Tether on Dec 6th though it just became public this week.
- Bitfinex now trades all pairs against ETH
- The big 60000 acre land purchase at the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center was from the Berns, the publishers of ETHNews, to showcase what Ethereum makes possible. Nice teaser.
- Brian Armstrong proposes a cryptocharity that would help give people property rights
- Katy Perry put crypto logos on her nails. Ethereum got the thumbs.
- ConsenSys and Amalto developing the Ondiflo platform for oilfield services logistics
- Hyperledger went to 1.0 with its second product, Sawtooth, which runs the EVM
- NASA is in very early research stages of considering Ethereum for resiliency
Dates of note
From Token Sale Calendar.
- February 1 – Winding Tree
- February 7 – Dether
- February 15 – RightMesh
- February 16-18 – EthDenver
- Mar 8-10 – Ethereum Community Conference in Paris
Ongoing token sales:
WARNING: list may include or even likely includes scams and quasi-scams. Do your own research and due diligence before putting value at risk.
[I aim for a relatively comprehensive list of Ethereum sales, but make no warranty as to even whether they are legit; as such, I thus likewise warrant nothing about whether any will produce a satisfactory return. I have passed the CFA exams, but this is not investment advice.]
If you appreciate this newsletter, thank ConsenSys
I’m thankful that ConsenSys has brought me on as an employee and given me time to do this newsletter.
Editorial control is 100% me. If you’re unhappy with editorial decisions, blame me first and last.
Follow me on Twitter? @evan_van_ness