News and Links
- Ben Edgington’s slides on the path to Ethereum 2.0
- TechCrunch Karl, Vitalik, and Justin scalability panel, where Justin estimated timeline at Casper in 2019, sharding in 2020.
- Justin Drake’s latest sharding slides
- Prymsatic’s sharding implementation update.
- Also, Prysmatic’s Beacon Chain design doc, and their sync call
- draft of OMG Plasma’s Simple Fast Withdrawals
- OmiseGo splits Plasma repos: MVP as a learning tool and a repo aimed at deployment
- Wolk’s Plasma Cash implementation
- Latest Casper standup
- Latest core dev call. Lane’s amazing notes. ewasm testnet before Devcon. Pegasys announced that by Devcon it would release its mainnet client written in Java.
- It appears that next hard fork will include 145, 1052, 1014 EIPs and aiming for before Devcon
- Vlad’s cryptoeconomic design infographic
- Lane Rettig: Why you should become a core developer
Stuff for developers
- Zero knowledge identity and signaling on top of Miximus, from BarryWhitehat
- Ganache v1.2.1 bug fix for this week’s v1.2 – intial acct balance, acct unlocking, etc
- web3 webpacked
- basic syntax mode in emacs for Vyper
- List of dapp upgradeability solutions
- Notes from taking ConsenSys Academy’s dev course
- Node wrapper for MakerDAO
- An unaudited implementation of Nick Johnson’s Offchain Auction idea for token sales
- Loom Network tutorial on using their dappchain block explorer
- Quorum devs want to know what questions you have for them
- SolidStamp report on security auditors
- Signup to be a Connext Hub in their payment channel pilot program
- Building an Eth account scraper with QuickBlocks (now open source!)
- Decentralize wallet.ethereum.org using IPFS with Dappnode
- Geth v1.8.12 – add Swarm PoC3 plus performance and bug fixes
Live on mainnet
- Augur is live. Over 100k open interest, total volume heading towards a million. Definitely some bugs being worked through which lead to Augur App v1.0.2. Very cool to see people building stuff on top like predictions.global
- Gitcoin put up a nice time to confirmation gas history chart. My 1 gwei transaction finally went through after 12 days, so perhaps the offending exchange has decided to stop incentivizing spamming the chain and the gas crisis is over?
- Vitalik’s slides on transaction fee economics
- Poor Bancor key management leads to loss of 25k ETH (~12m usd)
- Parimutuel Eth betting on the World Cup final
- Sergey Brin is mining Ethereum with his son
- Trusted 3rd parties are security holes: hacked Hola Chrome extension logged MyEtherWallet activity
- MyCrypto v1.2 release with hardware wallet support and no more private keys option on the web
- web3 design collaboration call
- Jérôme de Tychey’s Ethereum and scalability overview slides
Governance and Standards
- EIP1193: Ethereum provider API
- EIP1121: Add chain id to EIP55 mixed-case checksum address encoding
- EIP1218: extend BLOCKHASH opcode so blocks are aware of block hashes much older than current hash. alternative to EIP210
- ERC1201: 2 tier token structure for NFT ownership and rental
- ERC1202: Voting standard
- ERC1200: token upgradeability standard
- ERC1214: another token upgradeability standard
- ERC1203: multi-class token standard
- ERC1207: DAuth Access Delegation standard
- ERC1211: Common Ownership Self-Assessed Tax (COST) interface
- Comparison of top-down and bottom-up composables
- Matt Lockyer’s argument against onchain token standards
- Ryan Zurrer argues for EIP999, or something like it
- Aragon: On signaling and social pressure. Pick a group of stakeholders, make a DAO with them, hold vote.
- MakerDAO Governance Risk framework
- Aragon discussion thread on Phil Daian’s Dark DAO’s post
- Intrinsic vs extrinsic motivation in Gitcoin. $150k in lifetime work done.
- OmiseGo monthly update
- Rocketpool to do a beta test on their own PoA testnet
- Brave passes 3.1m MAUs, 80% mobile. Mobile is a no-brainer, but as of late desktop is also nearing no-brainer territory. And they’ve left anti-blockchain Mailchimp, hurray!
- Opera announces built-in web3 crypto wallet, but all their blog posts have been down for … days.
- Grid+ alpha to go live soon with three groups: electricity-only, electricity with Grid+ agent, and just agent. First 2 are Texas-only, but third group is for US residents to test the agent as a hardware wallet.
- Mysterium has launched on testnet for 3rd party vpn nodes. How to host a VPN node
- Smart GPU miners may make lots of money transcode mining with Livepeer
- Kyber Network on its goal of making tokens liquid and useful
- Golem on running arbitrary payloads in SGX enclaves
Interviews, Podcasts, Videos, Talks
- All the interviews at TechCrunch Zug. Lots of good stuff there
- Connext’s Arjun Bhuptani on Inchained
- Patrick McCorry talks Pisa
- OSCoin on Zero Knowledge
- Coda talks zk-starks for scalability on Epicenter
- FOAM on Hashing It Out
- Conor Svensson Qcon talk on Ethereum in the enterprise
- Demian Brener talks Zeppelin with Laura Shin
- Trail of Bits’ Dan Guido Ethereum Security talk
- Julian Zawistowski talks Golem with Adam Draper
- Nick D’Andrea talks Truffle on Smartest Contract
- Joe Lubin “Power of Ethereum” keynote at Rise in HK. More Joe on Blockchain and Us podcast, which I love because there’s a transcript.
- Interesting look at the token models of Asian exchanges
- Melon floats token swaps and mergers with projects using their platform
- Kyle Samani’s web3 stack reprises Stephan Tual’s web3 stack graphic
- Big Tech will drive web3 adoption. Interesting ideas, but I bet Clay Christensen would disagree.
- Could tokenized ownership for renters solve the principal-agent problem the way stock options (theoretically) incentivize employees?
- Delegating votes to overcome TCR vote-splitting problem
- Panvala is a TCR for code security from ConsenSys Diligence, with the twist of a token capacitor to reward participants at decaying rate. Sale in a few months. Interesting experiment.
- Equity or equity-replicating tokens given to early adopters is a trend we’re starting to see and will likely see more of. Two I find interesting are Dapped for dapp discovery and Open Bundle for journalism from some of my old co-workers at Ticketleap. They also wrote: When protocols replace companies
- Crypto Against Humanity as test case for curation markets
- Simon de la Rouviere: Incentivized forking
- On Single Bonding Curves for Continuous Token Models
- Parity: what is Substrate?
- Zilliqa testnet v2
- Coinbase is adding Cardano, Basic Attention Token, Stellar Lumens, Zcash, and 0x
- Guide to network attacks on blockchains
- I enjoy scifi blockchain fiction
- Universal basic income through video games?
- LedgerLive – desktop companion app for Linux, Mac and Windows
- Luxarity working with ConsenSys to track physical and monetary donations, then sell the physical donations at retail, and track social impact disbursements. Also from ConsenSys asia tour: Caifeng gene data exchange with Kaleido
- World Economic Forum: 4 ways blockchain will transform the mining industry through an Open Minerals and ConsenSys venture
- Zcon0 wrapup and links to talks
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note:
- July 12-18 – IC3 Eth Bootcamp (Ithaca, NY)
- July 14-15 – Ethereum Magicians governance talks in Berlin
- July 19-20 – DappCon (Berlin)
- July 22-24 — Japan tourism hackathon (Tokyo)
- July 24-26 – NIFTY hackathon and NFT conference (Hong Kong)
- July 25 – Maecenas auction of Andy Warhol piece
- August 10-12 – EthIndia hackathon (Bangalore)
- August 10-12 – ENS workshop and hackathon (London)
- August 22 – Maker DAO ‘Foundation Proposal’ vote
- August 24-26 – Loom hackathon (Oslo, Norway)
- September 6 – Security unconference (Berlin)
- September 7-9 – EthBerlin hackathon
- September 7-9 – WyoHackathon (Wyoming)
- Oct 5-7 – TruffleCon in Portland
- Oct 5-7 – EthSanFrancisco hackathon
- Oct 22-24 – Web3Summit (Berlin)
- Oct 30 – Nov 2 – Devcon4 (Prague)
- Dec 7-9 – dGov distributed governance conf (Athens)
- December – EthSingapore hackathon
If you appreciate this newsletter, thank ConsenSys
Editorial control is 100% me. If you’re unhappy with editorial decisions, feel free to tweet at me.
Most of what I link to I tweet first: @evan_van_ness