News and Links
- Latest Plasma implementation call.
- Kelvin Fichter: Plasma XT. Plasma Cash but much less per-user data checking.
- Xuanji Li: Plasma Cash with smaller exit procedure
- Blockchain at Berkeley’s Plasma implementation
- BankEx plasma on Rinkeby. github.
- Latest Casper standup
- Casper FFG v0.1 “First Release” to get serious about versioning
- Latest Prysmatic Labs sharding implementation call
- Justin Drake: a scheme for proposers to omit witnesses in stateless validator execution.
- Scaling Ethereum panels: Deconomy and Edcon
Stuff for developers
- Sūrya. Gonçalo Sá’s extension of soli for exploring Solidity code
- scry-one resilient log awaiter in Typescript
- Parr, a query tool
- Manticore v0.1.9
- Conditional scheduling with the Ethereum Alarm Clock
- Embark is now part of Status and released v3.0
- Solidity event debugger
- FOAM’s Cliquebait. PoA testnet in a Docker container
- You can now inspect smart contract variables with Truffle’s built-in Solidity debugger in v4.1.8. Plus Truffle hits 500k downloads.
- Zastrin basics of Ethereum course (free!)
- Yoichi releases Bamboo v0.0.03
- Aragon Nest announces first give grants: Gnarly optimistic UI from XLNT, Prysmatic Labs for sharding, Frame: OS-level signing provider, toolkits for planning on Aragon from Space Decentral and Giveth, and a git-like versioning system using Aragon.
- EF grant winner vipnode’s roadmap
- Amberdata analytics dashboards
- A look into Ethereum mining pools using miner payouts
- Etherscan on its values and monetization strategy
- Flippening: Ethereum’s fee market is now larger than Bitcoin’s
- 45 new members of the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance
- Ron Resnick on how the EEA’s stack release makes Ethereum more attractive for enterprise than competitors with vendor lockin
- An interview with Christine Moy, the new head of Quorum
Governance and Standards
- the goals of EIP0 going forward
- ERC1068: Loan standard
- ERC1070: Standard Bounties
- ERC1066: Status code proposal
- ERC780 claims registry updates
- simplify ENR for v4 compatibility merged into EIP778
- EIP908 incentives for archive nodes update
- ERC1046 to “extend ERC20 token interface to support the same metadata standard as ERC721” merged
- EIP 1062: Formalize IPFS hash into ENS resolver
- ERC1067: Upgradeable token approach
- EIP1057: programmatic PoW
- Discussion on ERC1056 lightweight identity
- ‘Final call’ added as draft to EIP process
- Composables ERC998 Update
- Dan Finlay proposes “Strange Loop,” a type of liquid democracy signaling process for governance
- Kauri is live on Rinkeby, with knowledge base article requests for uPort, Maker, Aragon, Remix, Toshi, Dharma
- Following up on their video, the Aragon Manifesto in print form.
- Steph Curry has his own CryptoKitty
- draft of the Civil Constitution
- 0x April update
- OmiseGo full roadmap update
- Townsquare Media to test BAT and Brave for adblock visitors
- uPort’s take on data onchain in the age of GDPR
Interviews, Podcasts, Videos, Talks
- Edcon live streams. See schedule to find a specific talk.
- Linda Xie’s intro to crypto talk at an Andreessen Horowitz event
- Interview of Kiev’s DappDev speakers
- Blockchain UX with Jose Caballer and Chris Pallé
- 10 min Vitalik Buterin interview from Deconomy
- Thibaut Sardan on setting up a full Parity node on Zero Knowledge
- Fabian Vogelsteller with Jeffrey Tong
- SEC Commissioner Hester Peirce speech on how regulators should be lifeguards at the beach, not sandbox monitors
- a16z’s Scott Kupor and Sonal Chokshi: Analogies, the big picture, and considerations for regulating crypto
- Fred Wilson: Is Buying Crypto Assets “Investing?”
- “12 Graphs That Show Just How Early The Cryptocurrency Market Is”
- Bloomberg graphic on cryptoasset and non-cryptoasset correlations
- Chris Ballinger launches MOBI to explore blockchain applications with companies comprising >70% of worldwide vehicle production, eg BMW, Ford, GM, Renault etc
- Brian Armstrong publishes the decision making framework at Coinbase
- Starkware raised 6m from an allstar list of investors for a zkSTARK hardware and software stack
- Lots of melodrama about “WSJ FUD” when there was no public SEC hearing on May 7. Paul Vigna is a reputable reporter and only reported a “working group.” Seems to me like most of the kerfuffle was due to over-extrapolation by crypto media in search of pageviews.
- Eric Schmidt talking web3 with EF and ConsenSys
- Facebook’s messenger lead now leading blockchain efforts.
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note:
- May 11-12 – Ethereal (NYC)
- May 15 – Kleros sale
- May 16-17 – Token Summit (NYC)
- May 17 – Blockchain, Accounting, Audit, and Tax conference (NYC)
- May 17-19 – Melonport hackthon in Zug
- May 18-20 – EthMemphis hackathon
- May 19-20 – Hacketh (Warsaw)
- May 25 – 27 – EthBuenosAires hackathon
- May 28 – Zeppelin’s zepcon0 conference (Buenos Aires)
- June 1 – Blockchain for Social Impact Conference (Washington, DC)
If you appreciate this newsletter, thank ConsenSys
I’m thankful that ConsenSys has brought me on and given me time to do this newsletter.
Editorial control is 100% me. If you’re unhappy with editorial decisions, blame me first and last.
Most of what I link to I tweet first: @evan_van_ness
This newsletter is supported by ConsenSys