Ethereum News and Links
- Lane Rettig announced the start of the Casper FFG testnet. You can find the code for the FFG and to run the testnet.
- BeyondBlock Taipei saw Vitalik give a scaling talk and Vlad give a governance talk. Vlad has been tweetstorming about governance. [Lots of other great talks in the morning and afternoon. See agenda.]
- Vitalik: “the point of PoW in Casper FFG is that it can be easily reverted to as the primary source of consensus if the PoS breaks for whatever reason”
- Latest Casper standup call
- ERC 780: Claims Registry
- Vitalik: STARKs, Part II. You might also like Dr. Reitwiessner’s ELI5.
Stuff for developers
- How to code a Tamagotchi-like entity
- Parity’s Afri Schoedon explains the difference between full, fast and warp sync and pruning options to debunk the Bitcoin FUD that Ethereum’s chain size will hit 1 TB. A full node is just 25gb. This is a must read for folks who want to understand the tech better.
- Getting started with MyEtherWallet. Using blockchain basics from MEW
- Fred Ehrsam with an expansive overview of blockchain governance
- Cryptokitty mania during its launch this week. Per EthGasStation, it’s about 5% of recent transactions. You can track kitty sales – one sold for $4500 USD and about 65 have sold for over $100.
Ethereum in the Enterprise
- Guide to running Istanbul BFT on Geth and Quorum
- Block explorer for Quorum (and Ethereum) tailored for enterprise
- Curation Markets: Price discovery of non-rivalrous goods with curved bonding
- REXmls aiming to be live in early 2018
- Grid+ is locking up a bunch of their GRID tokens
- How Variabl builts its ETHUSD price feed
- Aragon Nov update
- Eth PayNow button from ENS Listings
- Metrics for first month of Status Open Bounty
- Digix raised VC money instead of tapping the value they raised in their DAO?
Project Announcements and Whitepapers
- FOAM’s Crypto-Spatial Coordinates – physical addresses have corresponding on-chain addresses.
- Ethereum Login – Oauth but with Ethereum
- Citadel.ink – anti-attention economy social network. Working prototype. Intro post.
Interviews, Videos and Talks
- All the DevCon3 videos are out, including the breakout room! Also see Michael Wee’s Devcon3 notes
- TrueBit’s packed 10min video of interviews from EthWaterloo
- Naval Ravikant on Laura Shin’s podcast
- Neufund’s Zoe Adamovicz on Epicenter
- Streamr talk at Helsinki meetup
- Dharma Protocol’s Nadav Hollander on Rhys Lindmark
- MEW’s Taylor Monahan talks to Aaron Watson
- Q&A with Lendroid’s Vignesh Sundaresan
- RocketPool’s David Rugendyke talks to me about Casper staking pools
- Vitalik video talk on Token Economics. Finally a Vitalik talk I could watch at 1.5x!
- Fat protocols? Or application protocols?
- I’m pleased RocketPool has chosen to do a proportional refund cap. You can hear more in my RocketPool podcast.
- Bonded token pre-sales with Dharma Protoocol
Token Sale Projects
- Bloomberg on YouNow/Props
- CoFound.it’s Playoffs event is happening
- About the Virtue Poker token video
- Bloom roadmap
- This week Bitcoin topped 10k and Ether hit 500. Fred Wilson: “been rotating out of BTC into ETH for the past couple years”
- Coinbase won a victory in US federal court to exclude 97% of their customers from the IRS fishing expedition.
- Michael Arrington announces a fund denominated in… Ripple?
- Sunny Aggarwal and Nate Rush: unpopular ideas about blockchains
- FT: Insurers battle for blockchain
Dates of note
From Token Sale Calendar.
Upcoming token sale start dates:
- November 30 – Cofound.it Seed: Legacy, ENTX, Aversafe, Mediasifter,Datafund, Unico
- November 30 – Nous Platform
- November 30 – Bloom
- December 7 – Debitum
- December 8 – SingularityNet
- December 10 – Gazecoin
- December 11 – Aurora DAO from IDEX
- December 23 – Rocketpool (proportional refund cap, started November 25h)
Ongoing token sales:
- Jibrel Network
- Neufund ICBM
- Sense Token
WARNING: list may include or even likely includes scams and quasi-scams. Do your own research and due diligence before putting value at risk.
[I aim for a relatively comprehensive list of Ethereum sales, but make no warranty as to even whether they are legit; as such, I thus likewise warrant nothing about whether any will produce a satisfactory return. I have passed the CFA exams, but this is not investment advice. If you’re interested in what I do, you can find my somewhat out-of-date investing thesis and token sale appreciation strategies in previous newsletters.]
If you appreciate this newsletter, thank ConsenSys
I’m thankful that ConsenSys has brought me on as an employee and given me time to do this newsletter.
My charge from Joe Lubin is pretty similar to what Status has told me: keep telling the truth and covering the space as objectively as I can.
Editorial control is 100% me. Blame me first and last.
I’d love it if you shared this newsletter.
Follow me on Twitter? @evan_van_ness