Ethereum News and Links
Stuff for developers
- Ethereum Probabilistic Micropayments by Gustav Simonsson for Orchid
- 0x standard relayer API
- Eth gas reporter: mocha test reporter with gas usage per unit test
- MyEtherWallet is developing type-safety tools
- Golang client library to communicate with Eth RPC
- Ethereum cross chain atomic swaps using hashed time-lock contracts from ETC core dev Cody Burns
- Coding FiveMedium – 4chan on Ethereum
- Neufund’s end-to-end testing suite
- Truffle Flattener: merge your code written with Truffle in the right order
- elm + web3
- Reduce gas use with async tx using Oraclize
- SHA1 hash function + HMAC
- Ethereal – basic command line interface for a few common things, eg increasing gas price of pending transaction
- ethers.js – a web3 alternative from L4 and Richard Moore
- Our “Blockchain Powered Mobiilty Future” Money20/20 video from Oaken & Toyota Research Institute
- Links for all the EthWaterloo finalists. TrueBit’s recap video.
- Basic Attention Token partnership with DuckDuckGo – A natural combination. I’ve already been partnering their use for months
- More progress on the r/Ethtrader DAO token.
- Vote in CoinDesk’s Most Influential People in Blockchain. You don’t need an email address to vote, it takes less than 2 minutes, and I don’t want to lose to Paris Hilton.
- FunFair is live on Rinkeby and Kovan using the TESTFUN token
- OmiseGO Roadmap v.1
- UjoMusic alpha of Creator’s Portal
- ICONOMI Q3 financial report
- Gnosis will hold a prediction market tournament
- Melon v0.4 front end UI on IPFS
- Ethfinex Nectar token roadmap
- Cofound.it Q3 report
- Giveth on their transparent donation flow – alpha live on testnet
Project Announcements and Whitepapers
- Orchid: decentralized VPN. whitepaper
- Fragmented: A decentralized social network for Ethereum enthusiasts
- Quickblocks – fast and customizable data. first of 3 papers.
- Lightstreams p2p digital publishing network
Interviews, Videos and Talks
- Viktor Tron on Swarm at Eth London Meetup
- Video AMA with Nick Johnson
- Print Q&A with Niklas Kunkel from MakerDAO
- Esteban Ordano video intro of Decentraland’s editor
- Arthur Falls has ended the Ether Review. Here’s episode 1 of his new Third Web podcast on scalability. He’s pretty skeptical of Ethereum’s scalability.
- Vinay Gupta talk on funding a Mars mission
- The Bitcoin Podcast talks to Sweetbridge
- Rhys Lindmark interviews USV’s Albert Wenger and Jordan Leigh
- MrYukonC interview with Aion CEO Matt Spoke
- Berlin meetup – OmiseGo, Joseph Poon on Plasma, Qubes, Streamr
- Podcast: cryptoeconomics with Vlad Zamfir
- Jake Brukhman: “Fat protocols are not an investment thesis” and Alex Bulkin Protocols or apps? Put an end to useless heuristics. CoinFund largely agrees with my “There’s no such thing as “fat protocols” post
- Ryan Selkis announces Messari, an EDGAR-like database for cryptoassets
- Airswap notes that 80% of Philippine accounts were farmed. That’s not the only country, regulatory-imposed structures
- Cofound.it evaluator program: crowd sourcing the evaluation of potential Cofound.it projects
- Watch the SEC session on blockchains from Oct 12
- Nathan Popper in the NYTimes: How Floyd Mayweather Helped Two Young Guys From Miami Get Rich in ICO. Fred Wilson reaction to Popper’s article: I Scam Yous
Token Sale Projects
- How the ZEP Token Powers zeppelinOS
- This week in celeb ICO shilling was futbol (soccer) heavy: manager Harry Redknapp and Roberto Carlos.
- Props project: real time many-to-many video is the next frontier
- Dilbert’s Scott Adams is doing a token sale for WhenHub
- Singularitynet: building benevolent AI
- What is Sweetcoin? explainer video
- A video demo of Virtue Poker
- DFINITY launches their testnet. 12 minute video demo
- Airbitz is renaming themselves Edge and adding Ethereum
- Putting healthcare on blockchains
- A Brief History of P2P Content Distribution, in 10 Major Events
- Vitalik isn’t involved in anything involving Catalonia or their independence. Fake news.
- Ethereal summit morning talks. And video of afternoon. Or go directly to Joseph Lubin’s keynote.
- 21.co rebrands as Earn.com
- After attending Ethereal, Techcrunch’s Jon Evans gave a sober if slightly pessimistic assessment
Dates of note
From Token Sale Calendar:
Upcoming token sale start dates:
- October 31 – Snov
- October 31 – SpankChain
- November 1 – Winding Tree
- November 1 – ScriptDrop
- November 1 – RockChain
- November 1 – PayFair
- November 1 – SeedsTokens
- November 6 – Sense Token
- November 7 – Leverj
- November 9 – Stayawhile
- November 10 – WhenHub (pre-sale ongoing)
- November 10 – Gizer
- November 13 – Trippki
- November 14 – Bloom
- November 14 – Auctus
- November 14 – SimpleToken (pre-sale underway)
- November 14 – LevelNet
- November 15 – Kudos Project
- November 15 – Aigang
- November 15 – Realisto
- November 15 – Guts (pre-sale underway)
- November 16– TokenBox
- November 20 – PROPS by YouNow
- November 20 – FundRequest
- November 21 – Dopameme
- November 25 – Rocketpool
- November 25 – Relest
- November 27 – Jibrel Network
- November 28 – Gazecoin
- November 30 – Debitum
- November 30 – Nous Platform
- December 1 – Bounty0x
Ongoing token sales:
- Raiden Network (Dutch auction)
- Mercury Protocol
- Ripio Credit Network
- Self Pay
- Customization Basic Income
WARNING: list may include or even likely includes scams and quasi-scams. Do your own research and due diligence before putting value at risk. Read disclaimer below.
Want to be included? If you are building your project on Ethereum, email weekinethereum @ gmail [period] com with 1) your URL, 2) sale date and 3) a brief but convincing description of how you are using Ethereum, preferably with a link to your Github repo. Listings are free. But please make sure to follow those instructions. If you don’t follow the instructions, you likely won’t get a response.
[I aim for a relatively comprehensive list of Ethereum sales, but make no warranty as to even whether they are legit; as such, I thus likewise warrant nothing about whether any will produce a satisfactory return. I have passed the CFA exams, but this is not investment advice. If you’re interested in what I do, you can find my somewhat out-of-date investing thesis and token sale appreciation strategies in previous newsletters.]
If you appreciate this newsletter, thank ConsenSys.
I’m thankful that ConsenSys has brought me on as an employee and given me time to do this newsletter.
My charge from Joe Lubin is pretty similar to what Status has told me: keep telling the truth and covering the space as objectively as I can.
Editorial control is 100% me. Blame me first and last.
Thanks for reading. Every week I put an amount of time into this newsletter that even I can hardly believe, so many thanks for making it worthwhile.
I’d love it if you shared this newsletter.
Follow me on Twitter? @evan_van_ness