Ethereum News and Links
- [eth1] Videos of Eth1 Stanford meetings
- [eth2] Beacon Chain phase 0 spec release
- [eth2] What’s new in Eth2 this week
- [eth2] Latest Eth2 implementers call. Agenda.
- [eth2] Prysmatic dev update
- [eth2] Nimbus testnet simulation
- [eth2] Schematic of the Beacon chain spec
- Plasma Group launches. Here’s the spec (a variant of PlasmaCash), the client, and the deployer to run your own.
- Dan Robinson: A simpler exit game for Plasma Cash
- FunFair’s data shows that they get 100x scaling with state channels
- Counterfactual dev update
- Connext v1 payment channel hub video walkthrough
Client releases – get ready for the fork!
- Geth v1.8.22
- Parity v2.2.8-stable and v2.3.1-beta
- Pantheon 0.9.1
- Ethereum on ARM: Geth and Parity clients update. Status.im, IPFS and Swarm packages. Raiden Network and Trinity client installers.
Stuff for developers
- Weierstrudel: gas efficient elliptic curve scalar multiplication on Weierstrass. cheaper than the precompile!
- Optimizing Merkle tree multi-queries
- The EVM: how does it work?
- A central place to request an audit from 30 auditors
- MythrilClassic v0.20
- Testing potential exploits in a virtual environment
- The journey from Truffle4 to Truffle5
- Drizzle v1.3 with tests and React Native support
- Solhint v2 beta linter
- Secret Rock-paper-scissors with Enigma
- EVM package deployment with ZeppelinOS
- Formal verification for noobs: K
- Görli cross-client testnet launches! Görli block explorer. Node stats.
- B9labs and EthBerlin to fund 500-1000 free B9 Solidity courses.
- Gitcoin is doing 25k in CLR grant matching. Or as I think of it “quadratic matching”
- POANet on using xDai at ETHDenver
- Hodlbank mixer based on zero knowledge. Live on Ropsten.
Governance and Standards
- Vlad Zamfir: Against Szabo’s law, for a new crypto legal system
- Responses from Gabe Shapiro and Vitalik Buterin
- Core devs call. Hudson’s summary: ProgPoW to get 3rd party audit, miners can start extraData signaling, and EthCatHerders to examine community signal
- ERC1726: Dividend paying token
Live on mainnet
- wrapped BTC (wBTC) is now live on Ethereum
- OS-level transaction signer Frame is live with a mainnet alpha
- Origin Protocol’s marketplace creator to make your own decentralized marketplace in minutes
- CryptoCup returns with a pick’em for European football (soccer). You can also bet against anyone guessing the outcomes correctly.
- Maker hits 2m ETH locked up to collateralize DAI. Rune confirms DGX will be one of the early forms of non-Eth collateral
- Streamr launches API explorer
- “how we are building a museum in Decentraland”
- Peepeth is now batching together all user transactions so it’s free to use
- Aragon releases a desktop app
- 2019 is the year of the DAO (and the coming dxDAO)
- Settle’s dex.ag aggregates the best price from 0x, Idex, Kyber and Uniswap
Interviews, Podcasts, Videos, Talks
- Compound’s Robert Leshner on Into the Ether
- CNNSwiss interviews Joe Lubin at Davos
- Token standards and Matt Lockyer on Zero Knowledge
- IC3’s Submarine Sends explainer vid
- Zilliqa founder Xinshu Dong on 51%
- Aracon videos
- Stanford Blockchain Conference: Vlad. Vitalik. Georgios on PlasmaCash. Lots more but I got tired of looking up timestamps.
Tokens / Business / Regulation
- Kik’s response to the SEC
- Aragon DAOs and OpenLaw contracts for ecommerce?
- Barry Whitehat: solving optimization problems using snarks , ethereum and incentives
- Sonic: zkSNARKs from linear-size universal and updateable structured reference strings
- Fidelity plans March launch for crypto custody
- Bob Summerwill is the new ED for the ETC Coop
- Zilliqa launched mainnet
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note (new in bold):
- Feb 1 – Melon token migration begins
- Feb 2 – Eth2 workshop (Stanford)
- Feb 7-8 – Melonport’s M1 conf (Zug)
- Feb 7 – 0x and Coinlist virtual hackathon ends
- Feb 14 – Eth Magicians (Denver)
- Feb 15-17 – ETHDenver hackathon (ETHGlobal)
- Feb 27 – Constantinople (block 7280000)
- Mar 4 – Ethereum Magicians (Paris)
- Mar 5-7 – EthCC (Paris)
- Mar 8-10 – ETHParis (ETHGlobal)
- Mar 8-10 – EthUToronto
- Mar 22 – Zero Knowledge Summit 0x03 (Berlin)
- Mar 27 – Infura end of legacy key support
- April 4-5 – Deconomy (Seoul)
- April 8-14 – Edcon hackathon and conference (Sydney)
- Apr 19-21 – ETHCapetown (ETHGlobal)
- Apr 24-26 – Truffle Elevate (Dublin)
- May 10-11 – Ethereal (NYC)
- May 17 – Deadline to accept proposals for Instanbul upgrade fork
If you appreciate this newsletter, thank ConsenSys
This newsletter is made possible by ConsenSys.
I own Week In Ethereum. Editorial control has always been 100% me.
If you’re unhappy with editorial decisions or anything that I have written in this issue, feel free to tweet at me.
New URL: weekinethereumnews.com & suspended from Twitter (again!)
Archive on the web if you’re linking to it: https://weekinethereumnews.com/february-2-2019/ (WordPress CSS wrangling is still in progress!)
Cent link for the night view: https://beta.cent.co/+vcq47o
Suspended from Twitter: for the second time in about 6 weeks, Twitter has suspended my account for no reason. Because of this, the newsletter missed lots of stuff and it took longer to compile. Twitter, you’re possibly the worst at machine learning.
Follow me on Twitter, because most of what is linked here gets tweeted first: @evan_van_ness. Assuming they unsuspend me eventually.
If you’re wondering “why didn’t my post make it into Week in Ethereum?”
Did you get forwarded this newsletter? Sign up to receive the weekly email