Eth News and Links
Mainnet execution layer
- Latest core devs call. Notes from Tim Beiko. Discussion of future avoidance of OpenEthereum’s bug, plus finalizing what goes into the London release.
- OpenEthereum had a bug a few hours into Berlin and thus it went down. Here’s the detailed version of the bug involving access lists and an address reserved for the bls12-381 precompile which is planned but vacant
- OpenEthereum v3.2.4 is the latest version with the bugfix
- Why did we need to increase gas costs for state access in the Berlin fork?
- Turbogeth’s mining functionality will have a devnet launch with a 1 billion gas limit (!)
- EIP3508: Transaction Data Opcodes
Proof of stake consensus layer
- Latest turning off PoW call. Protolambda’s notes: going through the spec
- SigmaPrime’s Lighthouse client update: getting ready for the Altair network upgrade, wrestling with memory allocators
- A twitter thread about turning off Pow (“the Merge”) explainer
- MatterLabs is planning an offchain data availability security model as well as its zksync zk-rollup
This newsletter is made possible thanks to Kwenta!
Trade synthetic cryptocurrencies, forex, commodities, and equities both long and short, without the limits or compromises of a centralised exchange. Try Kwenta today!
Stuff for developers
- Hardhat v2.2, ready for Berlin
- Migrating files to workspaces in Remix, plus Remix now available in VSCode
- Vyper v0.2.12 is out, also updated for Berlin, plus a medium and low security vulnerability report
- Blocknative’s Simulation Platform: simulate via API function calls & net balance changes for what’s in the transaction pool
- EVM opcode list updated for Berlin
- Phil Daian: MEV wat do? Argues that MEV must be extracted for security and what you should do about it
- Ed Felten’s five theses for transaction ordering: resistance to frontrunning is good, and we’ll be working at it a long time, so we should be careful not to make it worse
- Sandwiching an uncled sandwicher
- Flashbots monthly update: 93 searchers landed ~5500 bundles; they’re probably moving to mev-sgx
- Flashbots fair market principles proposal
- The history of Synthetix’s fight against frontrunners: impending implementations are TWAP oracles and lower latency on Optimism
- JP Morgan testing a Quorum-based product with Taiwanese banks
- Videos from JP Morgan’s demo of space-based machine to machine payments using satellites
- Gelato v2 is live: bots that execute automatically. Now doesn’t need proxy contracts, and data generated offchain
- Whether Rai is a stable asset depends on narrative and market participants
- Edward Snowden auctions NFT for ~2200 ETH (~$5.5m) to benefit Freedom of Press Foundation, purchased by PleasrDAO
- DisasterGirl meme goes for 180 ETH (~$400k)
- Etherfreakers update: NFT characters with gameplay (rules in post), some players already deployed a DAO to protect their characters, and 0age has entered the chat
- Maker votes against writing a letter asking a16z to participate in Maker governance
- SEC Commissioner Hester Peirce’s Token Safe Harbor v2 proposal
- The perils of progressive decentralization: an argument for community first, product-market fit second
- ConsenSys announces $65m fundraising round from JPMorgan, UBS, Mastercard and Filecoin’s ProtocolLabs
- Andre Cronje: scams pumping during bull markets is demotivating for builders
- Justin Drake calculates that 1559 and turning off PoW will produce more buy pressure per year than the eth2 deposit contract and Grayscale trust combined
- Arthur Hayes says price/revenue models have ETH massively undervalued
- Is Google FLoC’ing you? By default Chrome now gives your browsing history to advertisers and websites
- How to beat a sweeper and recover your assets from a compromised private key
- r/WallStreetBets now allowing ETH and memecoin (BTC/DOGE) talk
- bZx is hiring a Lead Developer. 400k/year total comp. Apply here.
- Enzyme is hiring. Solidity dev, data engineer, UX/UI designer & growth eng.
- Element Finance, launching very soon, is hiring a Solidity engineer
- Nomic Labs (Hardhat/Buidler) is hiring a senior dev and an engineering manager
Want your job listing here? $345 per line (~75 character limit including spaces), payable in ETH (or 345 DAI or 345 USDC) to evan.ethereum.eth. Questions? thecryptonewspodcast at-gmail
If you’re wondering “why didn’t my post make it into Week in Ethereum News,” then please put it on an Ethereum subreddit; emails/DMs are not part of my workflow.
Please click the following if you’re interested in sponsoring the newsletter.
Permalink for this week’s issue: https://weekinethereumnews.com/week-in-ethereum-news-april-18-2021-thanks-to-synthetixs-kwenta-for-making-this-issue-possible/
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note (new/changes in bold):
- April 20 – deadline for beacon chain security and testing RFP
- April 20 – deadline to comment on FATF anti-DeFi regulatory proposal
- April 20 – OG NFT conference
- April 22 – Ethereum in the Enterprise 2021
- April 22 – OpenZeppelin managing upgrades workshop
- April 23 – submissions due for network crawler RFP
- May 14 – papers due for WoSCA 2021
- May 14 – Jun 2 – 0xHack
- Jul 20-22 – EthCC4 (Paris)
Did you get forwarded this newsletter? Sign up to receive it weekly