Eth News and Links
- Latest core devs call. Beiko’s notes, discussion of what is needed to turn off PoW, mainnet Berlin fork set for April 14
- List of EVM features possibly worth deleting. Let’s rip the bandaids off, turning off PoW (“the merge”) is the opportunity
- Anyone want to become an EIP editor?
- EthereumJS’s Typescript EVM release with critical bugfixes
- Micah Zoltu’s argument for adding BLS precompile in London fork
- London fork with EIP1559 scheduled for July, when the difficulty bomb starts to go off
- Understanding how EIP1559 helps congestion control
Proof of Stake
- eth proof of stake date to slot converter
- New Lighthouse release will help head/target attestations for whole network, so if you’re running Lighthouse, please upgrade!
- Withdrawal credentials merged, should enable trustless staking pools
- Celer’s cBridge, a cross-layer2 network for cheap, instant value transfers on EVM chains. Production ready, UI coming.
- layer2.finance: pool layer2 transactions from many users into a single transaction using Celer’s State Guardian Network for the rollup, coming in a month or two.
- Loopring’s rollup dex hasn’t been around long, has already done 500m USD, and is now doing $30m a day
This newsletter is made possible thanks to Trail of Bits!
Trail of Bits wants YOU to apply for a position on their team! Positions are open for blockchain security engineers, project managers, product managers, financial controllers, and more. Make a career-defining contribution and help direct the future of blockchain security at Trail of Bits.
Stuff for developers
- Defi Simulation with Tenderly, spin up instant forks and manipulate the state/blockheight to simulate transactions
- How to stream pending transactions with ethersjs
- Prysmatic: finding an elusive bug where database calls were inperformant on startup
- Infura: why use Infura Transactions instead of your own in-house relayer
- Samsun found bug in hashmasks sale, could have re-entrancy minted thousands of hashmasks
- Primitive Finance found a bug related to infinite approvals and rescued most funds
- Immunefi advocates for a scaling bug bounty
- Malicious Hardhat npm package on hardhat-waffle instead of @nomiclabs/hardhat-waffle. Hardhat has now squatted relevant package names. Beware of trusted code!
- Use strong Fiat-Shamir transformation and be careful when implementing snarks
- Reviews DAO: peer audits via barter
- An Eth code security checklist
- Nvidia is introducing an Ethereum ASIC miner
- Why miners can be simultaneously paid too much and yet struggling to survive: miners as a group are overpaid yet individual miners are barely breaking even
- Christie’s to auction a Beeple NFT, it’s first purely digital art auction. It will also accept ETH for payment.
- Dubai government free trade zone will now accept ETH, BTC, and Tether
- Expo IDE puts some of its treasury into ETH. The devs know.
- NyanCat creator sells NyanCat NFT for 300 ETH (~$600k) on Foundation
- Rai is live on mainnet. An Eth-collateralized asset with a reflexive self-peg set by interest rates
- Ideamarket on mainnet: bonding curves for Twitter accounts.
- uniswap over 100b lifetime volume
- PoolTogether incentivizes deposits to their no-loss lottery with the POOL governance token. Deposits have skyrocketed ~100x
- Ribbon finance is on mainnet with a strangle option strategy – an aggregator of Hegic and Opyn
- Vitalik reflects on his post-election nTrump stacking
- Rekt.news says cryptoart is art: lots of money laundering
- NFTs as “port of entry” for internet media
- RFP for a full verification of the Pickles SNARK on Ethereum
- Consensus for async distributed key gen
- Apple takes steps to thwart M1 Mac “Silver Sparrow” malware
- Robinhood announces it will enable deposits and withdrawals for crypto
- DeversiFi is hiring senior developers and marketing champions
- Are you a front-end dev? Join Balancer! Email: career [at] balancer.finance
- NEAR is looking for a React Engineer
- Trail of Bits is looking for a blockchain security engineer
- 0x: devs of all types and a data analyst
- HOPR is looking for a privacy protocol engineer.
Want your job listing here? $345 per line (~75 character limit including spaces), payable in ETH (or 345 DAI or 345 USDC) to evan.ethereum.eth. Questions? thecryptonewspodcast at-gmail
If you’re wondering “why didn’t my post make it into Week in Ethereum News,” then please put it on an Ethereum subreddit; emails/DMs are not part of my workflow.
Please click the following if you’re interested in sponsoring the newsletter.
Twitter: follow @WeekinEthNews to find out what the most clicked are. Follow @evan_van_ness to get most of the week’s news in real time.
Permalink for this week’s issue: https://weekinethereumnews.com/week-in-ethereum-news-feb-22-2021/
Dates of Note
Upcoming dates of note (new/changes in bold):
- Feb 28 – Nimbus Grafana dashboard submissions due
- Mar 1-5 – Ethereum Foundation’s Ecosystem Support Program office hours
- Mar 5 – Financial Cryptography DeFi academic workshop
- Mar 19-21 – ETHGlobal’s NFT Hack
- Apr 9 – May 14 – ETHGlobal’s Scaling Ethereum hackathon
- April 14 – Berlin upgrade fork (testnets: Ropsten Mar 10, Goerli Mar 17, Rinkeby Mar 24)
- May 14 – papers due for WoSCA 2021
- Jul 20-22 – EthCC4 (Paris)
Did you get forwarded this newsletter? Sign up to receive it weekly